function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
beenerbeener 

inline field component for VF

Hi,

We all know inline Editable fields from the native VF interface. by this I mean a field that looks like "apex: outputfield" but when double clicked, becomes an "apex:inputfield".

I would like to know if there is any way that I could to this myself
(I have a VF page that works on multiple rows of data, using a datatable full of "apex:inputfield" components.

Is there a VF component for that? if not, is there an Idea to create one?

Thanks
dchasmandchasman
Native support for inline editing in Visualforce components is very much on the roadmap - no ideaexchange idea AFAIK but this one already has a very large amount of interest behind it. My team did the design work a few releases ago and we just need time to execute on the plan (no ETA yet). It is entirely possible for you to implement this kind of thing yourself - something you'll want to consider if you need this in the next 6 to 12 months. One way to go would be to create a custom component that composites an apex:inputField and an apex:outputField with a component controller property to track the editability state. You can then leverage apex:actionSupport to wire up an action to double click (or whatever UI metaphore you like) that will toggle which one of the components will display etc. Make sense? If I can get a few minutes I'll see if I can post a custom component that illustrates this...
dev_forcedev_force

Doug, do you have time to post a sample app?

ShikibuShikibu
Ping -- I would be very interested to see a sample.