function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GoForceGoGoForceGo 

Showing special/check mark characters in Internet Explorer

The following VF page does NOT display the square root sign in Internet Explorer. It works in Firefox.

It used to work before, now it doesn't!!

<apex:page > <apex:outputText value="&#x221a" escape="false" /> </apex:page>

I have verified that  IE is capable of displaying this (I wrote a small HTM), but VF generated HTML does not display this. The escape is supposed to escape the characters...

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
GoForceGoGoForceGo

Steve,

Thanks! Semicolon works.Funny thing is that this used to work in VF before! 

Ron, it is same as &radic on your chart - &radic doesn't work either unless you put ;

Now Ideally I want a check mark (&#x2713), but IE doesn't work with that and not all fonts have the check mark! 

All Answers

Ron HessRon Hess

which version of IE ?

what does display when the page is complete?

<apex:outputText value="&#8730;" escape="false" />

this is what i tried for square root

the char you used, x221a  does not appear on my chart, i use visibone

Message Edited by Ron Hess on 03-31-2009 04:11 PM
GoForceGoGoForceGo

IE 7. It just displays &#x221a.

SteveAnderson41SteveAnderson41

Typo - you need a semi-colon for the entity to be valid.  Change your page to

<apex:page ><apex:outputText value="&#x221a;" escape="false" />
</apex:page>

Firefox makes a guess that you meant to include a semi-colon there.  IE does not.

Message Edited by SteveAnderson41 on 03-31-2009 04:50 PM
GoForceGoGoForceGo

Steve,

Thanks! Semicolon works.Funny thing is that this used to work in VF before! 

Ron, it is same as &radic on your chart - &radic doesn't work either unless you put ;

Now Ideally I want a check mark (&#x2713), but IE doesn't work with that and not all fonts have the check mark! 

This was selected as the best answer
GoForceGoGoForceGo

Interestingly, I am able to get a checkmark (&#2713)  if I don't set the font weight as bold. Firefox works either way. Of course,  the catch is Lucida Sans Regular font has to be installed...

This works in IE

<apex:page >
<apex:outputText value="&#x2713;" style="color:red;font-family:Lucida Sans Regular;font-size: 12pt" escape="false"/>

This just shows a rectangle in IE instead of check mark since font weight is bold.

<apex:page >
<apex:outputText value="&#x2713;" style="color:red;font-family:Lucida Sans Regular;font-weight:bold;font-size: 12pt" escape="false"/>

Message Edited by GoForceGo on 03-31-2009 05:53 PM
RyanGuestRyanGuest

I suggest using a small image of a checkbox in your VF page. This way you don't have to worry if it works in a browser or if the client has a font installed.

To do this, you could upload the image as a static resource and then link to the resource in your page. 

GoForceGoGoForceGo

Ryan,

That does sound like a good idea. However, I do have some minor complexities. I have a check mark that I want to show in green...Then I want to show another check mark in yellow...with the character "e" next to it. I could still upload an image of yellow check mark with an e next to it...