function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
nelloCnelloC 

Latest form field input on commandLink with immediate="true"

I have an apex:commandLink which has an attribute of immediate="true". The link is used to display a yui modal dialog. I want to take the latest input from a field on the form to use as a search argument in the dialog but with the attribute immediate="true" any new input is not available at the server side. Is there a way of getting the latest input from a form field when using a commandLink (or button for that matter) with immediate="true".

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Unfortunately there isn't.  If the immediate attribute is set to true, no validation or population of the backing variables is carried out.

Is there a particular reason why you need to set immediate to true?  If you are trying to avoid validation of fields that may not be entered, there are other ways around this using actionRegions.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Unfortunately there isn't.  If the immediate attribute is set to true, no validation or population of the backing variables is carried out.

Is there a particular reason why you need to set immediate to true?  If you are trying to avoid validation of fields that may not be entered, there are other ways around this using actionRegions.

This was selected as the best answer
nelloCnelloC

Bob

Thanks for that. Yes, the reason I'm setting the immediate attribute to true is to avoid validation. Although (I have to admit) it happens that I had forgotton I'd recently changed this page from using a standard controller and controller extension to a custom controller (doh!!) so in fact it turns out not to be an issue. 

But thanks for the info on using actionRegions, it will be useful sooner rather than later.