function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
guyr1981guyr1981 

Dash Boards

Hi,

Don't understand dashboards at all and can't find documantation that allows me to do what I need.

I have my own custom object, that is built on a visualforce page from data retrieve from different objects choosen by the user on the inputfields on my visualforce screen.

I want to add a dashboard, preferebly to the same visualForce screen (if possible) or on a new screen.

The dashboard should show records that represent data from specific months and years choose by the user.

and the objects should be displayed by the different month and the amount hold in each sum.

(Meaning I need a pie dashboard with the each month in a different color and the sum of that month taking the apropriate portion of the pie).

The best answer I can hope for is just a refernce to a guide that deals with how to build a dashboard of the type I'm trying to build, because I've found very little documentation and it is mostly about building the regular dashboards.

(The other option is just some directions that would help me deal with my problems)

Now for the problems:

1. How if at all can I add a dashbord to my visualforce page, should I build it regularly and then somehow refernce it in the VF page attributes or for what I need should the dashboard be created with VF from the start? if sow, how?

2. I understand that for a dashboard I first need to get a report but when trying to build a custom report it does not give me all the custom objects that I own as options for that report? how can I make my custom object the type of object that will show on my rerports.

3. for the sobject it does show for reporting it only allows the report to be on specific fields like Creation Date, name, status (a custom field) but not on the fields that I wany.

4. It only allows the user to choose specific date types for the records presented (for example the user can choose to present only records that were created between this date to another, but since all of my objects were created now, by the user, it doesn't help, I need it to show records between the date field in my object (the object that holds data from different object will hold the information on when the original data was created and that is the date I want the user to have a choice which to present and which not.

Thanks,

Guy

kwukwu

Now for the problems:

1. How if at all can I add a dashbord to my visualforce page, should I build it regularly and then somehow refernce it in the VF page attributes or for what I need should the dashboard be created with VF from the start? if sow, how?

I'm not 100% sure but I think dashboards and reports need to be created in Salesforce. I don't think the API supports creation of custom charts or reports.

2. I understand that for a dashboard I first need to get a report but when trying to build a custom report it does not give me all the custom objects that I own as options for that report? how can I make my custom object the type of object that will show on my rerports.

Objects need to have "Allow Reports" setting turned on in order to run reports against them. I would go to Create>Objects and edit the custom object and make sure "Allow Reports" is turned on.

3. for the sobject it does show for reporting it only allows the report to be on specific fields like Creation Date, name, status (a custom field) but not on the fields that I wany.

See #2 above and get back to me. There should be no problem creating dashboards on custom objects and custom fields.

4. It only allows the user to choose specific date types for the records presented (for example the user can choose to present only records that were created between this date to another, but since all of my objects were created now, by the user, it doesn't help, I need it to show records between the date field in my object (the object that holds data from different object will hold the information on when the original data was created and that is the date I want the user to have a choice which to present and which not.

In this case I would say create different dashboards with different time ranges. Dashboards take time to refresh. You want to include the latest records created but you will have to wait for the dashboard to refresh to get the latest information.

Ultimately it seems to me like you really want to be able to create your own charts.  There's no need for you to have an advanced reporting system. If you want to power your own charts, you can do so pretty simply with many 3rd party charting applications. There are a lot of solutions out there that are free or paid. Hope this helps.