function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JasonGablerJasonGabler 

What is the life span of a controller and its data?

We have a fairly long and involved wizard-like form that our testers are taking their time to fill out, and some times leaving untouched for an hour or more.  When they return to filling out the form, it is having problems submitting.  I am starting to suspect that the instance of the custom controller behind the wizard is for a given form is disappear (like a JSESSION timing out).

How exactly does the life span of a controller instance work?  How long is it around for?  Can this life span be manipulated?  I haven't found anything pertinent in the VF or Apex docs.  Any insights would be appreciated.

thanks,

jason

aalbertaalbert

A Visualforce page will timeout exactly the same way as any standard salesforce.com page. The timeout is based off the user's last activity. The administrator can configure that timeout setting by going to Setup | Administration Setup | Security Controls | Session Settings.This is an org-wide setting.

JasonGablerJasonGabler

Does this also apply to Visualforce pages that are publicly available through a Force.com site, requiring no Salesforce login?

aalbertaalbert

Good question. I do not believe those session timeout are relevant in Sites since you are not authenticated.