function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
John De SantiagoJohn De Santiago 

PDF Repeating Header and Footer Support

After a lot of persistence I finally was able to get repeating header and footers when rendering a Visualforce page as a PDF. The key to this is the page2PDF support of CSS3. 

Here is the css I came up with:

<style type="text/css">

@page {

@top-center {

content: element(header);

}

}

div.header {

padding: 10px;

position: running(header);

}

</style>

In the visualforce page I have the header setup as a div with the class name "header" the position running command pulls the content in my div and repeats it at the top of every page. The key for some reason is to put your header and footer divs at the top before you put your content on the page.

Here is my page

<apex:page renderAs="pdf">

<head>

<style type="text/css" media="print">

@page {

@top-center {

}

@bottom-left {

content: element(footer);

}

}

div.header {

}

div.footer {

display: block;

padding: 5px;

position: running(footer);

}

.pagenumber:before {

content: counter(page);

}

.pagecount:before {

content: counter(pages);

}

</style>

</head>

<div class="header">

<div>My Header Text</div>

</div>

<div class="footer">

<div>Page <span class="pagenumber"/> of <span class="pagecount"/></div>

</div>

<div class="content">

<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vestibulum nec nulla turpis. Suspendisse eget risus sit amet lectus ornare varius. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Aenean nec urna purus, adipiscing accumsan massa. Nullam in justo nulla, sed placerat mauris. In ut nunc eget libero posuere luctus. Donec vulputate sollicitudin ultrices. Nulla facilisi. Mauris in sapien arcu. Phasellus sit amet quam non mi ornare tincidunt ac quis lectus.</p>

</div>

</apex:page>

I cut the content text short for the purpose of this post. I am sure it will just take some more playing around.

Hope this helps someone avoid some late nights like I spent trying to figure this out. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by JohnDS on 03-10-2010 07:34 PM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 

You need to play around with the margin-top setting in the @page tag of the css or add one if you have not already. I usually just put a margin-top: 100px and margin-bottom:80px to keep the content from overlapping the heading. You can use smaller sizes but this allows room for an image.

I have also created a component for adding header and footer tags along with sample code. You can download the component from my blog at http://thurly.net/02s7

All Answers

gtindugtindu
You deserve a medal of some sort.
magdielhfmagdielhf

This solution is just genius, it saved me a lot of time as you said, 
Now I have a use case in which the header and footer should not be seen on the cover page of the PDF document and I'm trying to figure out how to do it using this method, 
Could you post any work around for getting this ?
Thanks in advance. 

This solution is just genius, it saved me a lot of time as you said, 

Now I have a use case in which the header and footer should not be seen on the cover page of the PDF document and I'm trying to figure out how to do it using this method, 

Could you post any work around for getting this ?

Thanks in advance. 

Ross JamesRoss James

Has anyone arranged the medal for JohnDS?

Working through this I now have a problem that my footer is only 2 lines (or so) high. I have a need for at least 2.5cm but can't figure out how to change this. I have looked at margins for the document (assumed that the margins would dictate the header and footer, or at least interfere with it) but no luck.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to change the height of a header or footer?

magdielhfmagdielhf

Actually you are right about margins, I needed to add a big image to the footer of the page, 

I just need to update the @page style, something like this, and include the image in the <div> section of the footer

@page{
          @top-center {                   
          }
          @bottom-right {
             content: element(footer_pagenumber);             
          }
          @bottom-center {
          }           
          margin:2em 1em 6em;
        }
Ross JamesRoss James

**bleep**! I will need to get two medals now...

Thanks for the (to me, right now) very important info.

TigerPowerTigerPower

Hey guys,

nice thread! I already learned a lot of this, but I still have a problem. I added style element to place header and footer on every page (pdf), but now my content floats on header image. Then I set padding for my content and got the first page acting okay. Now the only problem is that the second page of my pdf does not work with content (content is displayed on the header sections). Any suggestions? What I'm doing wrong here?

div.content{
padding: 215px 10px 50px 10px;
}

You need to play around with the margin-top setting in the @page tag of the css or add one if you have not already. I usually just put a margin-top: 100px and margin-bottom:80px to keep the content from overlapping the heading. You can use smaller sizes but this allows room for an image.

I have also created a component for adding header and footer tags along with sample code. You can download the component from my blog at http://thurly.net/02s7

This was selected as the best answer
TigerPowerTigerPower

Thanks JohnDS! :smileyhappy:

BartCBartC

Very nice thread!  

But is there a way you can skip the defined header and footer on the first page?

The first page is a title page in my PDF and I don't need a header and footer there.

Thx.

In the examples I shared at the end of the link you can create alternate first headers. You could just add an entry in your markup with an empty header and then an entry for the rest of your documents that has content. This should essentially create an empty header on the first page.

Edwin KEdwin K

Hi All,

This is good solution for my case, but I've question, why the space between header & content in the first page is different with page 2, 3, and so on where other pages except page 1 have the same space height. I'm using the code as same as in this forum with different content.. Any suggestions would be great..

Edwin

Its a good question and one I haven't been able to correct myself. For some reason the tool that renders the PDF must have some kind of default margin allocated to the first page.

I have solved for this by duplicating the header tag and adding or removing margin accordingly to accommodate for it. Not an ideal solution but it seems to work. 

Also, many of my forms have a different first page header than the rest of the pages so I end up having to create two header tags anyway.

Edwin KEdwin K

Thanks for the advice.. I'll try your solution for my case..

Edwin

AnidevAnidev

It's just perfect.

Thanks a ton

NRJNRJ

Very nice information...it really helped me!! :)

There are very few sources available for help in this topic and you surely deserve appreciations!! :)

In my case the header was repeating properly on each page but, repeatation of footer was not certain. Some times it was displyed on at the end of the document. Then I moved header and footer contents to the top of the body content and it worked for me!! :)

nextdoornextdoor

Hi guys,

Is it possible to count page Number based on <apex:repeat> tag.

As far, when I select multiple records from list button, the PDF generated will display the sum of all the pages. Is it possible to reset the page counter or something everytime a record is completed ? 

Say example, visual force generates PDF from list button where 2 records are selected and click a custom button then as a result PDF generated with totally 5 pages. With help of apex repeat tag, for the first record generates 3 pages and second record generates next 2 pages in a single file.

I need to count a page number in a PDF doc as Page 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3 and then again 1 of 2 and 2 of 2.
Is it possible? Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

ISVforce PartnerISVforce Partner

JohnDS,

Add one more to the list of medals. If you ever visit Austin, TX, beer is on me. Thanks a lot for posting this.

regards

Mitesh

vivekanandanvivekanandan

I have used the same code in thevf page , but the header and footer is not getting repeated at all. Even the page number is not displaying at all. Only the header is visible , that too not repeating..

Anybody please help me on this.

Mitesh SuraMitesh Sura
vivekanandan,

Can you paste VF code?
AparnaGopalakrishnan.ax1854AparnaGopalakrishnan.ax1854

Which version of VF page are you using? This solution is not working in version 28 and later.

Mitesh SuraMitesh Sura

Try using "applyHtmlTag="false" in your VF page. It does work in API 28. 

<apex:page showHeader="false" controller="pdf" cache="true" renderAs="pdf" applyHtmlTag="false">

Jon McDermottJon McDermott
The following approach works for me and gives running headers and footers on each page with an image, text, and page numbers. You can create either portrait or landscape PDF pages. Use a static resource for the overall style sheet; the image for the header is in a second static resource file. I adjust the margin-top, margin-bottom, and padding elements to keep the content DIV from overlapping the header and footer. I don't have a usage case where I need the first page to skip the header/footer. In any event:

I use a style sheet resource CSS file that includes the following information:

@page {
  @top-center {
  }
  @bottom-left {
  }
margin-top: 130px;
margin-bottom: 80px;
}

Then the VF page includes the pertinent following:

<apex:stylesheet value="{!$Resource.CSS}" />
<HEAD>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css" MEDIA="print">
@page {
    /* choose one of the following for page orientation */
    size: landscape;
    /* size: portrait;   */
}

div.header {
    border-bottom: solid 1px;
}

div.footer {
    border-top: solid 1px;
}

}

}
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
    <!-- HEADER and FOOTER Information -->
    <DIV CLASS="header">
        <TABLE BORDER="0" STYLE="width: 100%">
            <TBODY>
                <TR>
                    <TD CLASS="col-plain-left"><apex:image id="logo" width="157"
                            height="40"
                            url="{!URLFOR($Resource.flags, 'flags/logo.png' )}" /></TD>
                    <TD CLASS="col-plain-center"></TD>
                    <TD CLASS="col-plain-right"><SPAN STYLE="font-size: 9pt">Confidential</SPAN><BR />
                                                                            Report Date: <apex:outputText Value="{0,date,MMMM dd, yyyy}">
                            <apex:param value="{!TODAY()}" />
                        </apex:outputText></TD>
                </TR>
                <TR>
                    <TD COLSPAN="3" CLASS="col-plain-center"><SPAN
                        STYLE="font-size: 11pt; font-weight: bold; font-variant: small-caps; white-space: nowrap;">AGS
                            PDF Example Header for Opportunity  - {!Opportunity.Name}</SPAN></TD>
                </TR>
            </TBODY>
        </TABLE>
    </DIV>

<DIV CLASS="footer">
        <TABLE BORDER="0" STYLE="width: 100%" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0">
            <TBODY>
                <TR>
                    <TD CLASS="col-plain-left"><SPAN STYLE="font-size: 07pt">Copyright
                            © 2007-<apex:outputText Value="{0, date, yyyy}">
                                <apex:param value="{!TODAY()}" />
                            </apex:outputText> My Company, Inc.
                    </SPAN></TD>
                    <TD CLASS="col-plain-right"><SPAN STYLE="font-size: 07pt">PDFexample
                            20140103</SPAN></TD>
                </TR>
                <TR>
                    <TD CLASS="col-plain-left"><SPAN STYLE="font-size: 07pt">{!Opportunity.Id}</SPAN></TD>
                    <TD CLASS="col-plain-right"><SPAN STYLE="font-size: 07pt">Page
                            <SPAN CLASS="pagenumber" /> of <SPAN CLASS="pagecount" /></SPAN></TD>
                </TR>
            </TBODY>
        </TABLE>
    </DIV>

<DIV CLASS="content">

/* put your content here  */

</DIV>
</BODY>

Somneone who is better than me with CSS could probably make this look a lot more logical. I got this to work through some other forum posts and some trial and error.
BijaySBijayS
Even i am facing the issue on the pdf.

On my second page the header and the content is getting overlapped,for page one it is fine.

Anybody please help me on this.

Thanks in Advance.

Raghavendra Reddy .DRaghavendra Reddy .D
Step 1: create a .css file and paste code  from following link .this code will create a header and footer for your page
@page {

@top-center {

}

@bottom-left {

}

}

div.header {

}

div.footer {

}

}

}
Step 2: create a static resource .Go to SETUP|APP setup |DEVELOP|Static Resources and create a new static resource namely : “dynaPdf” and import above css file into it.

Step 3:  go to SETUP|APP setup |DEVELOP|COMPONENT and create a new component namely : “dynapdfcomponent” and paste  below code
<apex:component >
<apex:attribute required="true"  type="string" name="type" description="specify header and footer type" />

<apex:stylesheet value="{!$Resource.dynaPdf}"/>
<div class="{!type}" style="background-color:rgb(175,117,161);box-shadow: 10px 10px 5px #888888;margin-bottom:200px">
<apex:componentBody />
</div>    

</apex:component>

step 4:  Now create a visualforce page from SETUP|APP setup |DEVELOP|Pages  and create a new page namely : “dynaPdf” and paste below code  :
<apex:page standardStylesheets="false" id="pge" renderAs="pdf">

<c:dynapdfcomponent type="header" >

<div> <apex:image value="https://ap1.salesforce.com/resource/1406185071000/head" height="100px" width="700px"/> </div>
</c:dynapdfcomponent>

<c:dynapdfcomponent type="footer">
  <div align="right"><span style="float:left;width:80%;padding:30px 0 0 0;text-align:left;">ragava great person verm vko cvmkogfmckomfkoxdmkodxmko</span> <apex:image value="https://ap1.salesforce.com/resource/1406185821000/foo" height="68px" width="100px" style="float:left;"/> </div>

</c:dynapdfcomponent>

<div class="content">
<p>
<!----------------Your content goes here---------->
</p>

</div>

</apex:page>

Cheers..........
moinuddin saifimoinuddin saifi
<apex:page renderAs="pdf">

<head>

<style type="text/css" media="print">

@page {

@top-center {

}

@bottom-left {

}

}

div.header {

}

div.footer {

}

}

}

how to get pagenumber value and store in variable
AdamGoesTo11AdamGoesTo11
Ok, I have a weird one. I've been trying to add headers and footers and they just plain don't work. Rather than going to the top and bottom of the page, they just appear inline and don't repeat across the pages.

I couldn't find anything wrong with my code when comparing it to snippets from other people, so on a lark, I created a test VF page and copied the OP's code in and... it also doesn't work in my org.  Is anyone else having problems with getting headers and footers to work today/recently?

User-added image
Paris IoannouParis Ioannou
Thank your fo this. I could not figure out why the footer div was not visible, I just had to add margin bottom 100px; 
teqip indiateqip india

thanks for this help. now i got my problem solved via this method

PM Kishan Beneficiary Status (https://teqip.in/pm-kishan-beneficiary-status.html)

udyam registrationudyam registration
Your blog is very helpful to us. Thanks for sharing this article. If you are looking to apply for<a href="https://udyamregisteration.org/"> udyam registration </a>
Kaushal JhaKaushal Jha
thanks for This code. now i Have Solve this problem from this website
D.EL.ED ADMISSION 2023 (https://www.venkateshwaragroup.in/vgiblog/blog/what-is-the-full-form-of-d-el-ed/)
udyam registration 4udyam registration 4
Hey, Such an informatic article you have shared. I appreciate your effort in providing such detailed information. If you're looking for assistance with udyam registration (https://udyamregister.org), we are here to help.
lermin herimonlermin herimon

Menguasai Seni Prediksi Pertandingan Bola: Strategi dan Teknik Terbaik

Memahami dasardasar prediksi sepakbola
Memahami dasar-dasar prediksi sepakbola sangat penting untuk menguasai seni memprediksi hasil pertandingan. Salah satu strategi utama adalah meneliti kinerja dan statistik tim. Dengan menganalisis performa tim sebelumnya, termasuk rekor menang-kalah, gol yang dicetak dan kebobolan, serta performa kandang dan tandang mereka, petaruh dapat memperoleh wawasan berharga tentang kekuatan dan kelemahan tim. Selain itu, mempelajari statistik pemain individu, seperti gol yang dicetak, assist, dan catatan disiplin, dapat memberikan informasi lebih lanjut tentang kinerja tim secara keseluruhan dan potensi hasil. Melakukan penelitian menyeluruh tentang kinerja dan statistik tim merupakan langkah penting dalam membuat prediksi sepakbola yang terinformasi.
Aspek penting lainnya dari prediksi sepakbola adalah menganalisis rekor head-to-head antar tim. Meneliti riwayat pertandingan antara dua tim dapat memberikan wawasan berharga tentang pertemuan mereka di masa lalu dan membantu petaruh membuat prediksi yang lebih akurat. Faktor-faktor seperti hasil pertandingan sebelumnya, selisih gol, dan tren performa semuanya dapat menjadi pertimbangan saat menganalisis rekor head-to-head. Analisis ini dapat membantu mengidentifikasi pola atau kecenderungan yang dapat memengaruhi hasil pertandingan di masa mendatang. Dengan memahami dinamika antar tim berdasarkan pertemuan historis mereka, petaruh dapat membuat prediksi yang lebih tepat.
Saat membuat prediksi DewaKuis sepak bola, penting untuk mempertimbangkan bentuk tim saat ini dan cedera apa pun yang dapat memengaruhi kinerja mereka. Tim yang sedang dalam performa bagus, dengan serangkaian kemenangan baru-baru ini atau penampilan yang kuat, cenderung memiliki peluang sukses yang lebih tinggi di pertandingan mendatang. Di sisi lain, tim yang berjuang atau berurusan dengan cedera utama mungkin menghadapi tantangan dalam mencapai hasil yang positif. Dengan terus mengikuti berita tim terbaru, termasuk laporan cedera dan penampilan terkini, petaruh dapat membuat prediksi yang lebih akurat dan meningkatkan peluang sukses mereka. Mempertimbangkan bentuk dan cedera tim saat ini adalah komponen penting dari prediksi sepakbola yang efektif.

Memanfaatkan model statistik dan analisis data untuk prediksi yang akurat

Memanfaatkan data dan tren historis adalah strategi penting dalam memprediksi hasil sepak bola secara akurat. Dengan menganalisis performa masa lalu, termasuk statistik tim, performa pemain, dan pertarungan head-to-head, analis dapat mengidentifikasi pola dan tren yang dapat menginformasikan prediksi mereka. Setiap prediksi akan memberikan hadiah menarik untuk anda, segera Kuis Berhadiah ini jangan di lewatkan. Metode ini memungkinkan pemahaman yang komprehensif tentang kekuatan dan kelemahan masing-masing tim, serta kinerja historis mereka dalam keadaan yang berbeda. Dengan mempertimbangkan faktor-faktor seperti keunggulan lapangan kandang, formulir terkini, dan data historis, analis dapat membuat prediksi yang lebih tepat tentang pertandingan mendatang.
Mempekerjakan model dan algoritma statistik adalah pendekatan lain yang efektif untuk prediksi sepakbola. Dengan memanfaatkan teknik statistik canggih, analis dapat mengembangkan model yang mempertimbangkan berbagai faktor seperti performa tim, statistik pemain, dan kondisi pertandingan. Model ini kemudian dapat digunakan untuk menghitung probabilitas hasil yang berbeda, seperti kemungkinan menang, seri, atau kalah. Dengan menggabungkan data historis dan informasi real-time, model ini dapat memberikan prediksi yang lebih akurat dan membantu petaruh membuat keputusan.
Memasukkan metrik dan analitik canggih adalah strategi kunci dalam menguasai seni prediksi sepakbola, jangan kelewatan Jadwal Pertandingan Hari Ini untuk menentukan prediksi. Metrik lanjutan, seperti tujuan yang diharapkan (xG) dan bantuan yang diharapkan (xA), memberikan pemahaman yang lebih dalam tentang kinerja tim dengan mengukur kualitas peluang mencetak gol yang dibuat dan kebobolan. Dengan mempertimbangkan metrik ini, analis dapat memperoleh wawasan tentang kemampuan menyerang dan bertahan tim, yang dapat bermanfaat dalam memprediksi hasil pertandingan. Selain itu, menggunakan alat dan perangkat lunak analitik dapat membantu analis menganalisis volume data yang besar, mengidentifikasi pola, dan menghasilkan prediksi yang lebih akurat. Dengan memanfaatkan teknik canggih ini, analis dapat meningkatkan akurasi prediksi mereka dan meningkatkan tingkat keberhasilan mereka secara keseluruhan dalam taruhan sepak bola.

Menerapkan strategi taruhan yang efektif untuk prediksi sepakbola yang sukses

Salah satu strategi kunci untuk prediksi sepakbola yang sukses adalah manajemen dan penganggaran bankroll yang efektif. Sangat penting untuk memiliki pemahaman yang jelas tentang berapa banyak uang yang ingin Anda investasikan dalam aktivitas taruhan Anda dan untuk menetapkan anggaran yang sesuai. Ini membantu Anda menghindari pengeluaran berlebihan dan memastikan bahwa Anda tidak mengambil risiko lebih dari yang Anda mampu untuk kehilangan. Dengan mengelola uang Anda secara efektif, Anda dapat mempertahankan pendekatan berkelanjutan untuk taruhan Anda dan meningkatkan peluang Anda untuk Klaim Hadiah Dewa Kuis jangka panjang. Selain itu, belajar dari pemain berpengalaman dan teknik manajemen kemenangan mereka juga dapat membantu membentuk taktik taruhan Anda sendiri.
Strategi penting lainnya untuk prediksi sepakbola yang sukses adalah taruhan nilai dan perbandingan peluang. Taruhan nilai melibatkan identifikasi taruhan di mana peluang yang ditawarkan oleh bandar taruhan lebih tinggi daripada probabilitas sebenarnya dari hasil yang terjadi. Dengan menemukan taruhan nilai, Anda dapat meningkatkan potensi pengembalian dan meningkatkan profitabilitas Anda secara keseluruhan. Sangat penting untuk membandingkan peluang di berbagai bandar taruhan untuk memastikan bahwa Anda mendapatkan nilai terbaik untuk taruhan Anda. Memanfaatkan platform dan alat online yang memberikan perbandingan peluang bisa sangat bermanfaat dalam hal ini. Dengan menerapkan taruhan nilai dan strategi perbandingan peluang, Anda dapat membuat keputusan taruhan yang lebih terinformasi dan menguntungkan.
Saat membuat prediksi sepakbola, penting untuk mempertimbangkan faktor eksternal dan konteks permainan. Faktor-faktor seperti bentuk tim, cedera, skorsing, kondisi cuaca, dan keuntungan sebagai tuan rumah dapat memengaruhi hasil pertandingan secara signifikan. Menganalisis faktor-faktor eksternal ini dan potensi pengaruhnya terhadap permainan dapat membantu Anda membuat prediksi yang lebih akurat. Selain itu, terus mengikuti berita dan perkembangan terkini di dunia sepak bola dapat memberikan wawasan berharga yang dapat digunakan untuk menginformasikan keputusan taruhan Anda. Dengan mempertimbangkan faktor eksternal dan konteks permainan, Anda dapat meningkatkan keakuratan prediksi sepak bola Anda dan meningkatkan peluang keberhasilan Anda.
bhupi singhbhupi singh
Very nice thread!  

I woul like to know can we skip header ?
The first page is a title page in my PDF and I don't need a header and footer there.

Thanks
Regards
Polyadmission (https://polyadmission.in)