function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bblaybblay 

Custom Domain Using GoDaddy

I'm trying to change my domain name mydomain.force.com to mydomain.com 

I've read http://www.adnsandbox.com/df08/sites_using_custom_domain.pdf but the issue I'm having is creating those CNAME records on Go Daddy.

On Godaddy I have the option to change the A (Host) record from @ to an IP address which from reading articles on their site is what I would need to do but instead of an IP address I think I need to have it say mydomain.force.com but it'll only let me put an IP address in.

If anyone has experience with this or might be able to offer suggestions I'd highly appreciate it. Currently I'm forwarding mydomain.com to mydomain.force.com and this in turn I believe has resulted in my site not being searchable on Google anymore because I do not have the custom domain configured (my site has been running for about 3 months now).

Thanks!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sonninhosonninho

Hi bblay

Under the CNAME section in DNS Manager, can you try add the CNAME as follow:

Host                                      Points to                                          TTL

www                                    mydomain.force.com                   1 hour

Your A record would be something like this: host (@) points to (IP Address), just leave it as it is. Then you need to go into Salesforce Sites to configure the Custom Web Address, once it is done, go and try to type: www.mydomain.com, you should see your force.com site now.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sonny

All Answers

sonninhosonninho

Hey bblay,

I have done this with GoDaddy before without any problem. What I did was, create a new CNAME record and point it to my mydomain.force.com. I left the A record as default. 

Then go back to my Site setting in Salesforce and enter my GoDaddy domain in the Custom Web Address field. Voila, it works.

Have you tried it again recently?

Regards,

Sonny

bblaybblay

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the response! I did just try to go into GoDaddy and figure this out but couldn't quite get it. I left the A record alone and tried to add a CNAME and have it point to mydomain.force.com but I'm not sure what IT is...

I tried something for the new CNAME like mydomain.com (Host) points to mydomain.force.com but I kept getting the error

"A record of a different type exists for the hostname @, could not create CNAME"

I think I need a little more help maybe if you have any ideas.

Thank you!

sonninhosonninho

Hi bblay

Under the CNAME section in DNS Manager, can you try add the CNAME as follow:

Host                                      Points to                                          TTL

www                                    mydomain.force.com                   1 hour

Your A record would be something like this: host (@) points to (IP Address), just leave it as it is. Then you need to go into Salesforce Sites to configure the Custom Web Address, once it is done, go and try to type: www.mydomain.com, you should see your force.com site now.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sonny

This was selected as the best answer
bblaybblay

Thanks Sonny this worked perfectly!!!

I am curious though if it might be possible to have this work if someone doesn't put the www. in the address bar but I'm assuming I would need to change the A record of what @ points to but it seems like it might not be an option as I don't have an IP address from Salesforce for my site.

Thanks again!

Jared KremerJared Kremer

I have tried this answer and I get this in salesforce Domain Management:

Error: Salesforce.com can't validate the domain. The CNAME record may still be processing (which can take up to 24 hours), or the domain may not belong to you. Make sure the domain name OURDOMAIN.com uses OURDOMAIN.com.live.siteforce.com as its CNAME target and try again later.

Not sure whats going on and I have tried the method in this post as well as the domain its saying I should set as the error message. Kinda lost at this point. Any ideas?

summyplay1.3880017399988513E12summyplay1.3880017399988513E12
wants .com domains at just $4 contact me at summyplay@gmail.com   (summyplay@gmail.com)
justinreesejustinreese
Hi,

in my case, the host of www is already full.  Can I use a different Host name for my salesforce record?

User-added image
Alex RiesenkampffAlex Riesenkampff
Hello @sonninho It did not work for me. Is this solution does not work any more ?