function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Devendra@SFDCDevendra@SFDC 

Chatter Feed Tracking for Notes & Attachments

Hi,

Why does not chatter notify us when we make changes into note section or add any notes and attachment to custom object.

Bur when we attach file through chatter, chatter enables feed tracking for those files.

But it does not keep tracking for notes and attachment section for custom objects?? Is there any workaround to feed for notes and attachments?

Thanks and Regards,

Devendra S

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
IspitaIspita

Hi Devendra,

If you take look at the screen from where chatter is enabled you will notice that is contains list of all standard and custom objects, but there is no mention of notes and attachments.

Also since users are tracked and uploading a file is an action by the user hence its tracked. 

Hope this answers your query..

All Answers

IspitaIspita

Hi Devendra,

If you take look at the screen from where chatter is enabled you will notice that is contains list of all standard and custom objects, but there is no mention of notes and attachments.

Also since users are tracked and uploading a file is an action by the user hence its tracked. 

Hope this answers your query..

This was selected as the best answer

Hi Ispita,

Yes, there is no option for including Notes and Attachment while we enable chatter for difference object.

I was looking to display chatter feed when user adds new note/attachment for record.  But i guess, there is no option available for this. It would be greate if SF enables this feature.

What is your take on this?

Thanks and Regards,

Devendra S

IspitaIspita

Hi devendra,

I think it would be great to have this feature , do post it was an idea in idea exchange , it may be considered by salesforce in coming releases.

In the interim if my answer did answer your query to mark it a sa solution.

Thankx...

Hi Ispita,

Thank you very much.

Thanks and Regards,

Devendra S

Hi Ispita,

SF does not provide the feature of chatter feeding for Notes and Attachments.

Is there any workaround for this. So that we can display notes and attachments into Chatter feeding?

Thanks,

Devendra S

devikadevika
Hi Devendra, This can be done using chatter triggers. Thanks, Devika

Hi Devika,

I have never worked on chatter trigger before. Can you please give some direction on this?

Thanks and Regards,

Devendra S

vibrationvibration

Hi devika,

can you post  the trigger code here ?

devikadevika

Hi Devendra,

Following code is for notes insert/delete.

trigger notesTrigger on Note ( after insert, after update, after delete) {
if(trigger.isinsert)
{
for(Note a:trigger.new){
//system.debug(a);
feedPost f= new feedPost();
f.ParentId=a.ParentId;
f.Title=a.title;
f.body=a.body;
f.body=((Trigger.isInsert) ? 'New' : 'Updated') +'Note'+ ' '+ a.title +' ' +'is added ';
insert f;
//system.debug('f.id--->'+f.id);
}
}
if(trigger.isdelete)
{
for(Note a:trigger.old){
//system.debug(a);
feedPost f= new feedPost();
f.ParentId=a.ParentId;
f.Title=a.title;
f.body=a.body;
f.body=((Trigger.isDelete) ? 'Note' : 'Deleted') + ' '+ a.title +' ' +'is deleted ';
insert f;
//system.debug('f.id--->'+f.id);
}

}
}

Just a few changes for attachments.Hope it helps.

Devika

Robby IbrahimRobby Ibrahim
FeedPost has been renamed to FeedItem but I'm getting an error on the code above even after changing the names out. Would anyone post a new solution please? 

Error: Compile Error: Incorrect SObject type: Note should be FeedItem at line 1 column 1