function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
patrospatros 

New in Spring '10 - Authenticated Website User Type?

I noticed this entry on the Spring '10 Preview website: http://developer.force.com/releases/release/Spring10/Authenticated+Website+User

Sounds intriguing - I assume this means we can allow public, non-portal site users to create user accounts and authenticate.

I kicked around a Spring 10 pre-release org and see the profile type there, but I cant do much with it.

Anyone have details around this new user type? Also, what's the pricing structure going to be? The portal pricing structure has been the main reason why we haven't been able to move ahead with creating authenticated Force.com sites. Hope this changes things... 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent

You can find more details on this in online help.

It's a new portal license (user and usage base options are available) created to address the custom web application use cases, such as recruiting and e-commerce where you need to securely authenticate visitors but you might not need CRM functionality. It provides only custom object access, scalable to millions of users. You can contact your account executive for pricing.

All Answers

paul-lmipaul-lmi
I'm pretty sure it's just a different licensing version of the portal user accounts.  Instead of named accounts, you can do per-login pricing (a fee each time a user logs in vs. having an idle account all the time per-user).  If there's one constant in the SF world, it's paying for user access.
BulentBulent

You can find more details on this in online help.

It's a new portal license (user and usage base options are available) created to address the custom web application use cases, such as recruiting and e-commerce where you need to securely authenticate visitors but you might not need CRM functionality. It provides only custom object access, scalable to millions of users. You can contact your account executive for pricing.

This was selected as the best answer
PaulDysonPaulDyson

Hi Bulent,

can you expand on this a bit more (for some reason I can't open that help ... just sits spinning after I log in to the Partner Portal)?

At the moment it is possible to create a form that a non-authenticated Sites user uses to create, say, a Lead (i.e. a Sites/Visualforce version of the Web-to-Lead script). Will an authenticated Sites user not be able to do this or do they still have access to the basic objects and custom objects in a similar (but slightly more restricted?) way to Customer Portal users?

Thanks,

Paul 

BulentBulent

Paul,

try this relative url after you login to your org (not portal) "/help/doc/user_ed.jsp?section=help&target=users_understanding_license_types.htm&loc=help&hash=CPUSectionTitle"

Authenticated website user  is a new Portal license that we created to address the custom web applications use cases like e-commerce, recruiting application where you need to securely authenticate users on your website but you do not need CRM features.

It only provides custom object access and the user has no role (category based limited sharing can be done – see online help for details)

o2bo2b
Is that pricing model still same as Customer Portal or different or is it included in Enterprise Edition?
BulentBulent
similar to portal (cheaper) login based and user based options are available
o2bo2b

So, what's the difference between Customer portal and Authenticated website now? or is it same?

Thanks

Bhaskar Roy

BulentBulent
Main use case for this user type is to address custom web applications that requires authentication but doesn’t require CRM features
Such as recruiting portal, e-commerce website..
For partners we have partner portal which provides sales/marketing related features
For customers we have customer portal licenses which provides service and support features
Customers and partners can use these licenses as long as they don’t need crm features that are provided by the more expensive customer and partner portal licenses.
This new user type only allows access to custom objects and designed to scale with millions of users (no roles, different sharing mechanism)
You can search online help for this to get more details on how it works. 

Message Edited by Bulent on 03-03-2010 10:41 AM
lescclarklescclark

Hi

in an earlier post on this subject you mention that the licence types available are "(user and usage base options are available)" - I presume that this means that you can purchase named licences (ie 10 named users that have annual, unlimited logons) or an amount of monthly logons (ie 250 logons per month regardless of user).  can you confirm that this is the case & that we would be able to purchase a mixture of both ?

thanks

Les

BulentBulent

your understanding is correct, and yes you can purchase mixture of these two.

lescclarklescclark

thanks

my account exec has told me that I can only purchase monthly logins for Authenticated Web User Licences and that there isn't an annual, unlimited access, named user Authenitcated Web User Licence.  Is there any reason why this would be the case, for example we are in the UK ??

BulentBulent

There must be a misunderstanding. If you send me an email at (bcinarkaya@salesforce.com) with your account executive's name I'll reach out to him. 

KoLinKoLin

Hi Bulent,

How can I authenticate user information (eg: user name, password) for authenticated Website User  Type? 

Thanks!

Ko Lin