function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mikebzmikebz 

Canvas App not showing up in Chatter view?

This could be a n00b question.  I created a canvas app and used one of the demo applications that deploys to Heroku.  All is well but it doesn't seem to show up anywhere besides my Canvas App Preview.

I don't see any permissions to enable/disable it.

Has anyone seen this before?  

Ultimately I'd like to create an app that I let other users use via AppExchange.

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hello,

Support for Force.com Canvas apps in the publisher and in the Chatter feed is currently available through a pilot program and is available in all new Development Edition organizations. For information on enabling it for your organization, contact salesforce.com.

Refer section 'Where Canvas Apps Appear' in http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/platform_connect/canvas_framework.pdf

jhurstjhurst

mikebz,

The previous answer is correct if you are trying to take advantage of the new Winter '14 Pilot features.  If you are just trying to build up a standard canvas app there are a couple of things you have to do to make your app appear outside of the previewer.  The Canvas App allows access to your org fro outside, so we make the admin enable the app in order to use it outside of the previewer.

1. Set the locations of the app.

The app by default has no locations set up.  This means it will only display in the previewer.  To add locations, go to Setup > Build > Create > Apps and then click on the name of your Canvas App.  From the detail screen, click edit.  In the edit screen, you can scroll to the bottom of the page to the canvas section and you will see a list of locations available for your app.  Chose the locations you want and cadd themt o the selected locations.  You can now use the apps in those locations

2. Set the user permissions to the app

By default, the Heroku QuickStart app will be available to your User.  If you want to make it available to other users, you will have to manage the app.  Go to Setup > Administration > Manage Apps > Connected Apps and click into your Canvas App.  You can then see what levels are set.  Make sure the Permitted Users are saet to "Admin approved users are pre-authorized" (this means you as the admin are granting the access to your users)/  From there you can then add Profiles and Permission Sets to the app to enable different users.

You can find the full documentation at - http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/platform_connect/canvas_framework.pdf

Hope this helps.

Jay