function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
mscherflingmscherfling 

custom links or scontrols for activities

There doesn't seem to be a way to add a custom link or scontrol to events. Is this limitation expected to change?

Thanks
Ron HessRon Hess
well, since there is no option for a custom link on Activities,
you could try this :

create a formula field on the activity table which calls HYPRELINK() and pass in as the URL the servlet address of your scontrol, which looks sort of like this:

/servlet/servlet.Integration?lid=00b30000000n8cv&eid=a0330000000wTFq

first ID is the scontrol, second ID is the entity id ( event or task) passed into the scontrol,
so, in the formula you may have something line this, passing the ID allows you to use merge fields inside your scontrol

/servlet/servlet.Integration?lid=00b30000000n8cv&eid={!Id}

only draw back is that you can't control the window size/position until after your scontrol starts executing, then you can resize, close, etc.

NOTE: i've not tried this on activites (task or event) but the HYPERLINK() trick to call an scontrol does work on other standard and custom objects, no reason why it would not work on events.

share & enjoy
mscherflingmscherfling
Thanks. I'll try that.
DevAngelDevAngel
Right, I forgot about formula fields. Good call Ron.
mscherflingmscherfling
hmmm. On further review, I don't think this will work for me. I wanted an Scontrol to use the AJAX toolkit to locate a custom Tab for me and create a page button to link to that custom tab. Unfortunately, a) a hyperlink() formula doesn't get called unless one clicks on it, b) it opens a new browser window with no way to indicate the same window and c) I get 'unable to access page' with the syntax:
HYPERLINK("/servlet/servlet.Integration?lid=01N30000000CsqT&eid="&{!Id}, "link")

Finally, I'm not sure how to reference the event Id from an Scontrol.
As a followup, does the Id for an custom tab remain the same when loaded into an new organization from appExchange? If so, I may be able to work with static references.

Thanks,
-- Mark
Ron HessRon Hess
Id for a custom tab does NOT remain the same in each org that an appexchange package is installed. you can query the ID for a tab based on an ajax call to describe the object, then look for the "prefix" in the sobject definition.

However you can't hard code the prefix into a custom link and expect that it will work in a fresh install.
tinman44tinman44
Ron-

You stated:

>only draw back is that you can't control the window size/position until after your scontrol starts >executing, then you can resize, close, etc.

Is this still true?
And is there any plan to allow window parameter defining via the HYPERLINKS() custom formula field? Thanks.
Ron HessRon Hess
this is still the case.
this feature has been mentioned in meetings, should be doable, can't promise which release it's going to appear in.
I hope soon.