function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
fifedogfifedog 

Email2Case ???

Has anyone played with this yet? Due to my lack programing and not very familiar with JAVA and/or eclipse I'm running into some issues, errors could very well be between chair and computer.

In reading the Email2Case Readme file it states: "Load the Prject in Eclipse, and Start it up. You'll alos want to build the Email2Case JAR so you can run it from the command line." I have the 1.4.2 JSDK installed (from using the partner toolkit which runs properly)

I have extracted the Email2Case project to my C:\\EmailAgent60. Then I opened Eclipse and created a new project. I think I added the "Email2Case.jar" fine. I then go to Run and the "main Class" is set to org.apache.tools.ant.Main. I run it and it give me the error of: "build.xml does not exist!"

Ideas?
fifedogfifedog
Ok, I have goose bumps... the darn thing works! From what the documentation said you need to create the email2Case.jar file... but you don't! You don't need to do anything in Eclipse.

I had a java guy help me look at this and here's what you really need to do, apart from getting the JSDK up and working right.

Configure the text files as per the document. One thing to note for your password for connecting to your mailserver... you may not need your domain.

Go to the command line of your java machine and go to the EmailAgent60 directory
type in: "java -jar email2case.jar sfdcConfig.txt" (without the quotes)

The email agent is now running and you should be able to send an email message and have it create a case for you.
wrexwrex
There is no Email2Case.jar file distributed in the zip archive. I suspect you created it when you were playing with Eclipse (the Email2Case.jardesc file apparently being instructions for eclipse to create the Email2Case.jar file).

I'm sure it's possible to create the jar file from the command line (with "jar -cf") but I haven't yet figured out the exact incantation. (I'm allergic to java, SOAP, and XML.) The dependencies on getting this thing running are killing me. If your java expert can tell me the exact command line required to create the Email2Case.jar file you've created, I'll be indebted.

The email2case feature in the Summer '05 release is still in proof-of-concept stage as far as we're concerned. Though there are all sorts of promising looking server-side configuration settings for email-to-case, the readme file distributed with the actual client program to poll one's mail server and open the case contains these wonderful tidbits:

1) The code doesn't handle "network errors" and I should either pay for a consultant or write my own error handling.

2) To even run the software after updating a couple simple config files I should "load the project in Eclipse" (a full development IDE).

3) "This code is unsupported by Salesforce.com development and is provided as a sample to accelerate the implementation of Email Management by a consulting resource".

So to use the email2case feature in the Summer '05 release we need to write, debug, and host our own code to poll an IMAP mailbox and talk to the sForce API. This is disappointing to say the least.

We've been waiting eagerly for this capability. SFDC's got all the pieces in place, but it feels kinda like a "last mile" problem in the extreme -- they ran this wonderful new service all the way out to our facility, but expect us to climb the pole and connect up our own cobbled together doohickey to actually tap into the service.

Hopefully the EmailAgent60.zip file on the sForce site is just temporary. It would be nice to see a real, SUPPORTED app put up in its place.
fifedogfifedog

See my comments inline with yours. this is very cool and I don't think it's meant to be as hard as they've make it seem.

If you want email me: pfife@fortinet.com and we'll set up a time and I can try and spend 10 mins with you on doing the configuration and runing the application. I'm excited because I didn't do any coding, nor debuging.

wrex wrote:
There is no Email2Case.jar file distributed in the zip archive. I suspect you created it when you were playing with Eclipse (the Email2Case.jardesc file apparently being instructions for eclipse to create the Email2Case.jar file).
Wrex, you may want to double check, I've downloaded the file again and the Emai2Case.jar file is there, I'm 100% sure of it.

If your java expert can tell me the exact command line required to create the Email2Case.jar file you've created, I'll be indebted.
You have it in the directory, just run the command line to start the Jar file.
Go to the directory: EmailAgent60 (in the command line)
Type: java -jar email2case.jar sfdcConfig.txt
The agent should now start to run and spit out some messages saying it's parsed out the text files correctly.

2) To even run the software after updating a couple simple config files I should "load the project in Eclipse" (a full development IDE).
Wrex, really you don't have to do any Coding, only change some text files.

So to use the email2case feature in the Summer '05 release we need to write, debug, and host our own code to poll an IMAP mailbox and talk to the sForce API. This is disappointing to say the least.
You don't have to do any of what you've said about debuging, writing. However Yes, you have to host it, this small polling app to yoru IMAP mailbox. This application talks to both the sForce API and your IMAP

Message Edited by fifedog on 06-24-2005 02:05 PM

Message Edited by fifedog on 06-24-2005 02:06 PM

wrexwrex
The jar file wasn't in the EmailAgent60.zip file I downloaded on 6/16. It is there in the zip file I just downloaded, however (with a datestamp of 6/17). The zip file wasn't renamed when the file was added (all I can see is the URL without actually downloading it, so I couldn't tell that the file size and checksum had changed).

My bad for not rechecking -- thanks for verifying that the jar file is now in the zip archive.

Anyway, I've got enough now to play around with it, though I'm still more than a bit concerned about running unsupported software with no "network error" checks for our production support site.

(Off topic: the java getting started package, QuickStart6_0.zip, is missing lib subdirectory with all the Axis stuff, etc, but the lib directory from the EmailAgent.zip seems to work with it. I will submit a bug report in case this list isn't monitored by developers.)
wrexwrex
Well I successfully submitted a case to my developer account. Hooray!

I had to restart the java process several times before it logged in successfully though (trying to wait 30s or so between invocations).

Most of the time it fails with:

Starting EmailToCase Agent ...
Parsing config file: sfdcConfig.txt
Config successfully parsed
Parsing config file: /home/users/rex/build/emailagent/EmailAgent60/email2case.txt
Config successfully parsed
- The host www.salesforce.com:443 (or proxy null:-1) did not accept the connection within timeout of 5000 milliseconds

Once it failed with:

AxisFault
faultCode: {urn:fault.partner.soap.sforce.com}SERVER_UNAVAILABLE
faultSubcode:
faultString: SERVER_UNAVAILABLE: internal server error (20018)

And once it actually connected okay. After it seemed to connect okay, I sent an email message and within a couple minutes a case was logged. Great!

Now to figure out how to make this thing robust enough to actually use....
benjasikbenjasik
In the upcoming weeks, we'll be posting a more robust version of this. More info to come later.
wrexwrex
That's *exactly* what I hoped to hear.

Thank you!
miguelmiguel
Can someone say if I have made an error in my sfdcConfig.txt and my email2case.txt files? Here they are:

https://www.salesforce.com/services/Soap/u/6.0
user@mycompany.com
password

Test User
user@mycompany.com
mySMTPServer

com.sforce.mail.SMTPNotification

C:\\EmailAgent60\\email2case.txt

myIMAPServer
imap
myUserName
password
Inbox
processed
error

Did anyone have to change the default URLs that came in these config files?

I am using my sforce Developer Account with my email address as the username and my password as the password. Obviously I've obscured the username and password in my post above.

Thanks,
Mike
DevAngelDevAngel

When posting xml use the Edit as HTML button and do a search and replace to replace the greater than > with &gt; and less than < with &l\;.

Message Edited by DevAngel on 08-24-2005 07:45 PM

Message Edited by DevAngel on 08-24-2005 07:46 PM