function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DannyTKDannyTK 

Trigger to Update Custom Object status based on Task

Good evening, 

my second post today...
so I'm trying to create a trigger that will update the status of a custom object (Sales_Order__c) based on if a related task is open or if task is completed:
Open Task > Update Sales Order Status to "Pending Question"
Completed Task > Update Sales Order Status to "Sales Order Revised"

I'm not close to being a developer, so some of my coding probably has some major flaws:

trigger SalesOrderUpdateonTask on task (after insert, after update ){
set<id> Sales_Order = new set<id>();
for(Task ts : trigger.new)
{
Sales_Order.add(ts.whatid);
Sales_Order =[Select status__c from Sales_Order__c  where id in :Sales_Order];
if(String.valueOf(ts.whatId).startsWith('a1M')==TRUE)
{
Sales_Order__c.Status__c='Pending Question';
update Sales_Order;
}
}
}

On save, get a compile error: illegal assignment from List <Sales_Order__c> to set <id> at line 6...also, have another trigger to Update on task completion:

trigger SalesOrderStatusUpdate on Task (after update)
{
List<ID> Sales_Order = new List<ID>();

for(Task t: Trigger.new)
{
if(t.status == 'Completed')
{
Sales_Order__c.add(t.whatid);
}
}
Map<ID, Sales_Order__c> objMap = new Map<ID, Sales_Order__c>([select id, status__c from Sales_Order__c where id in :Sales_Order__cIDList ]);
List<Sales_Order__c> objList = new List<Sales_Order__c>();
for(Task t: Trigger.new)
{
if(t.Status__c == 'Completed')
{
Sales_Order__c so = objMap.get(t.whatid);
so.status__c = 'Sales Order Revised';
//update remaining fields.
objList.add(so);
}
}
if(objList.size() > 0)
update objList;
}

not sure how to change the variable Sales_Order__c IDlist on line 12 where it will accept, and how to combine the two triggers together into one.  Again, excuse the basic errors since i'm not a developer, but trying to find existing codes that is similar to what i'm looking for.  Thanks once again.

Best Answer chosen by DannyTK
justin_sfdcjustin_sfdc
Hey Danny,

Sorry about the delayed response. I tested this in my sandbox, so it should be working in yours as well, here you go:

Set<id> StatusOpen= new Set<Id>();
    Set<id> StatusCompleted= new Set<Id>();
    for (Task ts: trigger.new) {
         //This condition grabs the whatId whenever the status of the task is anything besides Completed and changes the status of the customObject to Pending Question. You can change it whenever the status is Open or just In Progress
        if (ts.status!='Completed') {
            StatusOpen.add(ts.whatId);
        }
        else if (ts.status=='Completed') {
            StatusCompleted.add(ts.whatId);
        }
    }
    if (StatusOpen.size()> 0) {
        List<Sales_Order__c> customObject= [Select id, status__c from Sales_Order__c where id =: StatusOpen];
        for(Sales_Order__c thisObject: customObject) {
            //Please make sure the picklist value is this; pending question, not sure but i think it is case sensitive
            thisObject.status__c='pending question';
        }
        update customObject;
    }
    if (statusCompleted.size() > 0) {
        List<Sales_Order__c> customObject= [Select id, status__c from Sales_Order__c where id =: statusCompleted];
            thisObject.status__c='sales order revised';
        }
        update customObject;
    } 
}

Thanks!

All Answers

justin_sfdcjustin_sfdc
Hi Danny,

Line 6: Sales_Order =[Select status__c from Sales_Order__c  where id in :Sales_Order];
it should be List<Sales_Order__c> sorder=[Select status__c from Sales_Order__c  where id in :Sales_Order];
so your trigger would be:

set<id> Sales_Order = new set<id>();
 if (trigger.isInsert) {
  for(Task ts : trigger.new)
  {

}
     List<Sales_order__c> sOrder =[Select status__c from Sales_Order__c  where id in :Sales_Order];
     for (Sales_order__c sOrd: sOrder) {
         if(String.valueOf(ts.whatId).startsWith('a1M')==TRUE)
         {
            sOrd.Status__c='Pending Question';

}
    }
    update Sales_Order;
  }
  if (trigger.isUpdate) {
    for (Task ts:trigger.new) {
        if(ts.status__c=='Completed')
    }
    List<Sales_order__c> sOrder =[Select status__c from Sales_Order__c  where id in :Sales_Order];
     for (Sales_order__c sOrd: sOrder) {
            sOrd.Status__c='Sales Order Revised';
    }
    update Sales_Order;
 }
}

==================================================================================================
I think that should do it. Pretty much!!!
DannyTKDannyTK
thanks Justin for cleaning up my bad trigger,

looks like it's giving a "Variable does not exist for the ts.whatId" at line 11, if(String.valueOf(ts.whatId).startsWith('a1M')==TRUE) ...
is it the way i'm referencing my custom object?

appreciate your help
justin_sfdcjustin_sfdc
Hey Danny,

Could you replace that line with
if(String.valueOf(Sales_Order.whatId).startsWith('a1M')==true)....

This is because at line 4 we created Task ts but we closed it at line 8, that is why you were getting the error saying; "Variable does not exist"
DannyTKDannyTK
thanks Justin,

I had to update to Sales_Order__c.Id, which seems to take.  But received an DML requires SObject or SObject list type: Set <ID> at line 17, update Sales_Order; 

I'm not a developer but making an attempt, so some of my errors may be pretty basic
justin_sfdcjustin_sfdc
Hi danny,

On both lines wherever you are performing the update, can you replace your code with this instead;

update sOrder;

Thanks!
DannyTKDannyTK
thanks Justin,

I do have a question on whether i'm using the right object on this trigger:  since I'm using the existence of an open Task to update the Sales Order status (custom object), should the trigger be built on task or on Sales_Order__c.  It's now giving me an incorrect SObject type on Task, and looks like when i update to the Sales_Order__c (line 1) then the Loop variable on line 4 should be Sales_Order__c as well.  I'm not an experienced developer so I'm wondering if the structure is correct on this trigger.....i would think that line 4 should stay on task.

thanks for your help Justin
justin_sfdcjustin_sfdc
Hey Danny,
Not a problem at all. We all learn more and more everyday.
Would you mind telling me your requirement so that I can provide you with a better solution. Please be specific about on what action what should happen?

Thanks!
DannyTKDannyTK
I'll be happy to,

so what i'm looking to do is have a trigger that will update the Status of a Custom object record (Sales_Order__c) depending on if there's an open Task on the record.  So if a task is created from the Sales Order, then the Status (status__c) of the Sales Order becomes "Pending Question" (or if any task is open on the record, if more than one).  And when the task(s) are completed, then the Sales Order status updates to "Sales Order Revised".  Seems direct enough, which is why i'm attempting to build myself, of course there are always challenges.

thanks Justin
justin_sfdcjustin_sfdc
Hey Danny,

Sorry about the delayed response. I tested this in my sandbox, so it should be working in yours as well, here you go:

Set<id> StatusOpen= new Set<Id>();
    Set<id> StatusCompleted= new Set<Id>();
    for (Task ts: trigger.new) {
         //This condition grabs the whatId whenever the status of the task is anything besides Completed and changes the status of the customObject to Pending Question. You can change it whenever the status is Open or just In Progress
        if (ts.status!='Completed') {
            StatusOpen.add(ts.whatId);
        }
        else if (ts.status=='Completed') {
            StatusCompleted.add(ts.whatId);
        }
    }
    if (StatusOpen.size()> 0) {
        List<Sales_Order__c> customObject= [Select id, status__c from Sales_Order__c where id =: StatusOpen];
            //Please make sure the picklist value is this; pending question, not sure but i think it is case sensitive
            thisObject.status__c='pending question';
        }
        update customObject;
    }
    if (statusCompleted.size() > 0) {
        List<Sales_Order__c> customObject= [Select id, status__c from Sales_Order__c where id =: statusCompleted];
            thisObject.status__c='sales order revised';
        }
        update customObject;
    } 
}

Thanks!
This was selected as the best answer
DannyTKDannyTK
Whoa, thanks Justin, this is great...my attempt was pretty far off base.  One question, looks like its throwing an 'Incorrect SObject type: Task should be Sales_Order__c at line 1, looked for a similar problem on the forum board but couldn't find an applicable solution (aside from changing the object definition, which i'm sure will throw other errors)....any ideas on how to fix?
justin_sfdcjustin_sfdc
Hey Danny,
I'm not sure what you are saying. Are you not able to send this code? I have the same code in my sandbox and it is working fine.

Could you verify the API name of the sObject as well as the fields and the picklist values?

Thank!
DannyTKDannyTK
Justin, 

thanks for your help, figured out why i was getting that sOject error... I was trying to save the trigger under the custom object instead of the task.  Once i saved under Task, your code works!  Appreciate all your help on this, you're an asset. 

-danny