function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jgreene.ax1178jgreene.ax1178 

Cross Object Formula Question

Hey all!

I have two custom objects that I created.  I have a 'date' field in one of them and want to add the value of that date field to the 2nd custom object.

However, when I try to reference that object (new schools) to the 2nd object field, I get a field error.  This is what my formula looks like:

new_schools__r.install_date__c

Any help would be much appreciated!! 

-Jake
Best Answer chosen by jgreene.ax1178
Chinmay BhusariChinmay Bhusari
hi,
Have you checked the return type of your formul field. Otherwise the insert formula button and getting the result is pretty straightforward it you are trying to access parent from a child.

All Answers

logontokartiklogontokartik
are you trying to copy from child to master or master to child? 
That's the question - I'm not sure how thta works.

Both custom objects are just that - objects.  I don't have one as a master or anything.  I do have a lookup field that references the New Schools object.  That way it connects the 2nd object to the 'New Schools' object.  Thoughts?
logontokartiklogontokartik
ok. When you said you are referring New Schools object via Lookup field? what is the field name? If you are trying to pull from New schools in that case, it should be New_Schools__c.Install_Date__c (it wouldnt be __r)
Hi,
You can use a workflow rule to update the field. Can you please be more specific regarding the type of field you are trying to update and how?
@logontokartik - the 'New Schools' object is what it is - I thought that had to have a __r ending since it's an object, right? 

The field I'm trying to bring over to the 2nd object is called 'Install_Date__c'

@Chinmay - I'm trying to make it formula fields only, I really don't want to make workflow rules for this.
hi,
Have you checked the return type of your formul field. Otherwise the insert formula button and getting the result is pretty straightforward it you are trying to access parent from a child.
This was selected as the best answer
@Chinmay - OK, how could I make a custom object already in place the 'parent object' to all of the other ones that I have.

Thanks so much for your help here - I really do appreciate it.