function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rosie WeaverRosie Weaver 

What are the capabilities of Email-to-Case?

Our cases will come in via a form on our website. Every case will therefor have the same "From" email address. Is it possible for Email-to-Case to extract the correct email from the body of the email? Can it extract other custom fields that are included in the email?

I am not a programmer, so we will have a consultant do this work for us. I just want to know if it's possible! Thank you.
Best Answer chosen by Rosie Weaver
ShashForceShashForce
Hi Rosie,

Email-to-Case can only get the "From" email address of the sender. It cannot process the body of the email to get the original person's email address. For that, you should use "Web To Case". Please see this: https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=setting_up_web-to-case.htm&language=en

If this answers your question, please mark this as the Best Answer for this post, so that others can benefit from this post.

Thanks,
Shashank

All Answers

ShashForceShashForce
Hi Rosie,

Email-to-Case can only get the "From" email address of the sender. It cannot process the body of the email to get the original person's email address. For that, you should use "Web To Case". Please see this: https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=setting_up_web-to-case.htm&language=en

If this answers your question, please mark this as the Best Answer for this post, so that others can benefit from this post.

Thanks,
Shashank
This was selected as the best answer
srlawr uksrlawr uk
Web-to-case definitely sounds like a more suitable solution for putting a form on a website to collect case information, rather than having a form fire off a message to e-mail to case, but if you have already commited to this part of the solution, I would personally suggest that it would be possible to create a digestible "chunk" of data in the email-to-case form.

It sounds like what you are probably doing is asking the user to complete a form with many fields (including their e-mail address) and then wrapping that all up into the body of an email and sending it in. What I would personally want to do is make sure the e-mail to case settings gave these e-mails a specific Case-Origin, then, I would (as a developer) write a "before insert trigger" in Apex - that identified cases being inserted with this case origin, and then - so long as you had control over how the body of the e-mail was constructed, parse that body and extract the info.

In a simple form, from your e-mail form, put the users e-mail address on line 1, then their name on line 2 etc.etc. before putting the rest of the case underneath. Then in the trigger, grab that body, and you should (with some certainty - (and thats where a good developer will earn their cookies)) be able to say "ok, first line is the e-mail address - stick that in the e-mail field, second line is name ( ... ... ) and then the rest of it is the Case body.