function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ravi NarayananRavi Narayanan 

Newbie --Help Regarding Salesforce Mobile Development

Hi Guys,

I have been working as a Salesforce Dev for 3 years in Administration,Apex, Visualforce,Javascript,CSS.

Now i wish to move to mobile app development in Salesforce. But i dont have any idea on how to get Started. 

I was working on a OMS Portal all these days.   Suppose i want to develop a similar OMS app in mobile where Customers can order  , how to get started?

Can someone provide me the link/pdf materials that will help us in starting with basics ? 

Thanks in Advance ! ! 

Best Answer chosen by Ravi Narayanan
Ankit AroraAnkit Arora
There are very few app developed in SF1 so far if we compare to normal VFP and Apex development. SF1 is not very different and to develop anything in it you've to code in VFP and Apex only, it's very similar to develop anything on force.com platform. So I think your requirement can be done in SF1, as I suppose you only need to create a shopping cart.

Few complexities which you need to do the POC before you develop here is like in most of the shoppinf cart we use cookies to track the old order if it is not complete, am not sure how you can handle this in SF1. Rest most of the stuff which is possible in VFP and Apex is doable in SF1.

All Answers

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora
I hope you are aware of Salesforce1? That is most hotshot going on right now, am not sure what you want exactly but portals etc can be handled via SF1. Here is the link to get started with SF1 :

https://developer.salesforce.com/gettingstarted

If this is something which is not helpful then you can search for IOS or Android app development, but according to me SF1 should be good.
Ravi NarayananRavi Narayanan

Thanks a lot for the link..

Lets say i want to develop a Mobile App where customers can go and add items to cart and finally order.

We have developed the above functionality in force.com sites.

So you mean the same portal can be used via salesforce1 also in mobile? 

Sorry for these very basic questions. 

Ankit AroraAnkit Arora
There are very few app developed in SF1 so far if we compare to normal VFP and Apex development. SF1 is not very different and to develop anything in it you've to code in VFP and Apex only, it's very similar to develop anything on force.com platform. So I think your requirement can be done in SF1, as I suppose you only need to create a shopping cart.

Few complexities which you need to do the POC before you develop here is like in most of the shoppinf cart we use cookies to track the old order if it is not complete, am not sure how you can handle this in SF1. Rest most of the stuff which is possible in VFP and Apex is doable in SF1.
This was selected as the best answer
Gaurav KheterpalGaurav Kheterpal
Assuming that you built this functionality using Visualforce pages, you can use Salesforce1 - you will need to mark those pages to be available in Salesforce1. You can follow the instructions listed here on how to do so - http://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=customize_sf1_visualforce.htm&language=en_US