function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ram ChaturvediRam Chaturvedi 

Field level security , difference in Visible ,Read only . ?

User-added image
Vatsal KothariVatsal Kothari
Hi Ram,

Visible :
If you check the "Visible" checkbox, that field will be visible to that profile or Users of that profile will not be able see this field.

Read-Only:
If you check the "Read-Only" checkbox, that field will be read only for the users of that profile or Users of that profile will be able edit this field.

If this solves your problem, kindly mark it as the best answer.

Thanks,
Vatsal
Gaurav NirwalGaurav Nirwal
try creating formula lookup field to accoutn name, they want be able to modify it,
you also have to create different pageayouts for particular users, since you want some of them to modify account name
Gaurav NirwalGaurav Nirwal
The Validation Rule should work.  Did you syntax look something like this?
AND (ISCHANGED (Name ), $Profile.Id='00e30000000xxxx#')
Pratik_MPratik_M
Hi Ram,

If you checked only 'Visible' checkbox then that field will be editable to the users in that profile (Read+Edit). If you click on both Visible & Read-only then that field will be "Read-only" to that users in that profile.If you do not check both checkbox for Visible & Read only then that field will be Hidden from users in that profile.
Cullen BrimhallCullen Brimhall
Mark thumbs up if I got this right:
1. Checking neither box = hidden
2. Checking both boxes = visible and read-only
3. Checking only visible box = visible and read-write
4. Checking only read-only box = Salesforce won't let you do it

Terrible interface. I would change it to:
1. Checking neither box = hidden
2. Checking "Read-Only" = visible and read-only
3. Checking "Read-Write" = visible and read-write (checking this would also disable "Read-Only")
Kevin Zuiker 10Kevin Zuiker 10

User-added image

https://developer.salesforce.com/trailhead/en/data_security/data_security_fields

KINDRA THOMASKINDRA THOMAS
OMG you are amazing, this is the simplest most straight forward answer I've seen so far. So for my enthusiasim! lol 
Praveen Pujar 25Praveen Pujar 25
@KevinZuiker10 So simple and most effective answer, thumbs up.
Konstantin KurchikovKonstantin Kurchikov
While creating formula field, "read-only" is checked automatically and is frozen and it is able not to check "visible". So case 4c(Checking only read-only box) exists and field in this case will be hidden
Divisha bansalDivisha bansal
What if only read only check box is checked?

Fatih AkyolFatih Akyol
You can't do that. If you try it the system only lets you pick both so there is no way to click on read-only checkbox.