function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Benedicte GodetBenedicte Godet 

Data Loader: "Id not specified in an update call" error

Hi, I am trying to upload tasks in Salesforce and have the following fields:
Contact ID - mapped with WhoId - format ID (003D000001sEIrH)
Assigned to - mapped with AssignedtoID - format ID (005D0000005QjgV)
Subject - mapped with Subject - free field so text
Type - mapped with Type - picklist so put the exact picklist word
Related to Campaign - mapped with RelatedtoCampaign - format ID (not sure that's the right way)
Due Date - mapped with Duedate - format dd/mm/yyyy

What did I do wrong? Should the related to campaign be text instead of ID? Should I add the account ID (please no)?

Thanks for you help,

Bénédicte

Best Answer chosen by Benedicte Godet
Vivek DeshmaneVivek Deshmane
Hi,
When performing an update in the Data Loader, you encounter this message "Id not specified in an update call".  This error means that your csv file does not contain the IDs for the records you are attempting to update.  If you are able to verify that your csv file does contain IDs, please verify that you are mapping the ID column from your csv file to the ID field during the map fields step. 

In Data loader setting you can specify insert null value.
User-added image
Please let me know if this helps you.
Best Regards,
-Vivek

All Answers

Hi,
When performing an update in the Data Loader, you encounter this message "Id not specified in an update call".  This error means that your csv file does not contain the IDs for the records you are attempting to update.  If you are able to verify that your csv file does contain IDs, please verify that you are mapping the ID column from your csv file to the ID field during the map fields step. 

In Data loader setting you can specify insert null value.
User-added image
Please let me know if this helps you.
Best Regards,
-Vivek
This was selected as the best answer
Benedicte GodetBenedicte Godet
thanks, I actually wanted to create data and not update so was doing it the wrong way! When I read you answer, it became clear what my mistake was.
Many thanks,
Bénédicte
Hi Benedicte ,

If it helps you then please mark as answer.

Best Regard,
-Vivek
Vinitha SubramanyaVinitha Subramanya
Hi Vivek,

I am also getting the same error when trying to use Data loader to update a custom lookup field. I have mapped the record ID to the correct field. The field Coordinator Id is a lookup to the user and is used on the Installations record. The .csv file that I have used has the Installation Id and the CoordinatorId as ID and not names. What is causing this error? I have about 90 records that need the Coordinator ID field to be mass updated.

User-added image