function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Art SmorodinArt Smorodin 

Platform License question.

Hi can someone explain to me how Platform Licenses work? 

For example, all our users currently have Salesforce (Sales Cloud - Enterprise Edition) licenses, which as far as I understand gives you access to SF1 platform anyway. Now, we do have a field sales team which mostly works remotely using SF1 app and does not create too many records in the system (in most cases records are assigned to them by BRD's or RSM's), but mostly updates them. 

Is it possible for us to just purchase Platform licenses for that team instead of regular Salesforce Sales Cloud licenses (since they are cheaper)? This way these users will still be able to own records assigned to them by the RSM, make changes to the records. They will only need access to standard CRM functionality (Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, Leads)

So in my mind I see it as this: new field sales person is hired, instead is purchasing a new Sales Cloud license for him/her at $125, I will just buy Force.com Enterprise App License at $25.  

Possible? Any Input will be appreciated. 

William TranWilliam Tran
Yes, I believe you should explore the option but have a pilot group first to ensure the license will meet your needs.

In general, 

Salesforce licenses are designed for users who require full access to standard CRM and Force.com AppExchange apps. CRM apps are anything that requires access to Standard Objects like...

Leads
Opportunities
Forecasts
Cases
Solutions

Salesforce Platform licenses are designed for users who only need access to custom apps, and NOT the standard CRM functionality. Salesforce Platform users DO have access to the "core" Salesforce Standard Objects and functionality, like...

Accounts
Contacts
Reports
Dashboards
Documents
Custom Tabs

So, if a user only needs to access custom Force.com or AppExchange apps, it's OK to assign them aSalesforce Platform license. On the other hand, if a user needs access to any CRM functionality (eg Sales or Service Cloud), they must be assigned a Salesforce license.

As a common practice, if your question is answered, please choose 1 best answer. 
But you can give every answer a thumb up if that answer is helpful to you. 

Thanks

helpful links:

https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=users_license_types_available.htm&language=en_US
https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=users_understanding_license_types.htm&language=en
buyan thyagarajanbuyan thyagarajan
Hi Art,
 William has given you the capabilities of salescloud vs the force.com platform license. For you to make the decision, this would help.
If your mobile sales reps are only updating custom objects other than standard accounts, contacts and leads, then force.com platform license would work for you. They can access it, update it using mobile app.
But if they would have to create opportunities or create leads, sales cloud would help. So to make the decision, make a list of objects which your mobile user would like to add or update and make a decision accordingly.
Do you guys have any app exchange apps which the mobile users would need to access? Please click like or answered if you like the answer..
Buyan