function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Andrew EversleyAndrew Eversley 

Setting up Lightning Connect - Pb with API Trailhead Error

Hello Community, 
I'm working on the "Setting up Lightning Connect - Pb with API Trailhead Module and after submitting the Check Challenge I've received this error below:

"Challenge Not yet complete... here's what's wrong:
There was an unexpected error in your org which is preventing this assessment check from completing: System.ExternalObjectException: data.api.DataSourceException: This data is no longer available. The "Phone" table in the external data source is currently unavailable. Try again later or contact your administrator for help."

Has anyone come across this error, or have any ideas on what the issue is or on how to proceed to complete the challenge. Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by Andrew Eversley
Sumeet_ForceSumeet_Force
Just to verify the issue, I retook the challenge by deleting external objects and regenerated them and I was able to clear the challenge again.
Things that you might want to try next:

1. Since it doesnt look an issue with external data source (even though error says so), it might have to do something with the SFDC part. So please try this once in some new org which has an instance (e.g. na1, na2) different than the one you are trying in.

2. Also reconfirm on the API Name - just to verify - Phone_Plan__x and Phone__x

3. Lastly , while doing this in other org, keep checking the challenge after every step you do. i.e. Create data source ..then test it to ensure that you are getting appropriate error at that stage. Then sync object and ensure that error changes. This would ensure that each step is getting properly validated by Salesforce and would assist in digging down to the point from where issue starts coming. Hope that helps.

All Answers

Sumeet_ForceSumeet_Force
Hi Andrew,
I have never come across this. But possible checks/workaround.

1. First ensure that the Phone table is accessible from your salesforce Org.
2. Ensure that your org does not have a namespace which is often the case.
3. If issue is just with this module, try connecting a difference org and doing the exercise there and then verify by connecting trailhead to that other org.
I will check into that Sumeet, thanks for your prompt response. 
Sumeet, I tried the options you recommended with no luck, I'm still encountering the error. If you or anyone have any further suggestions I'm open to them. Thanks
Sumeet_ForceSumeet_Force
The best answer from this link might resolve your issue: Check API names very carefully and correct them as/if required in below link.

https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/ForumsMain?id=906F00000005G01IAE

Sumeet, I checked the link you sent and made the necessary corrections, but was met with the same error message when checking the challenge. 

"Challenge Not yet complete... here's what's wrong:
There was an unexpected error in your org which is preventing this assessment check from completing: System.ExternalObjectException: data.api.DataSourceException: This data is no longer available. The "Phone" table in the external data source is currently unavailable. Try again later or contact your administrator for help."

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to proceed with this???
Sumeet_ForceSumeet_Force
Pls share the Phone external data source Label and Name and also share external object Label as well as the API Name.
As per your request Sumeet, and also for others to see, attached are my screen shots below:

External Data Source: Mobile Devices
User-added image

Both of my External Objects
User-added image

Phone External Object Name (API and Label)
User-added image

ANY SUGGESTIONS????
In addition, I wanted to attach my namespace situation regarding both of the objects so that you can see that i have no namespace issues. User-added image
Sumeet_ForceSumeet_Force
Just to verify the issue, I retook the challenge by deleting external objects and regenerated them and I was able to clear the challenge again.
Things that you might want to try next:

1. Since it doesnt look an issue with external data source (even though error says so), it might have to do something with the SFDC part. So please try this once in some new org which has an instance (e.g. na1, na2) different than the one you are trying in.

2. Also reconfirm on the API Name - just to verify - Phone_Plan__x and Phone__x

3. Lastly , while doing this in other org, keep checking the challenge after every step you do. i.e. Create data source ..then test it to ensure that you are getting appropriate error at that stage. Then sync object and ensure that error changes. This would ensure that each step is getting properly validated by Salesforce and would assist in digging down to the point from where issue starts coming. Hope that helps.

This was selected as the best answer
Sumeet, I appreciate your prompt responses and input. I had deleted the objects and data source previously but with no luck. I will check into what you suggest later on today and see if it gives me any good fortune. Stay tuned lol.
Sumeet Force....I got it to work finally. Thank you for your responses and your suggestions. I deleted the external objects and the External Data Source and then systematically added them in step by step as you suggested and that was the trick. 

I didn't have to go into a new org to completed it also, Thank you for your assistance. 
Nichole ParkerNichole Parker
When you're asked to change the name of the tables to "Phone" or "Phone Plan" - make sure you're not changing any fields in the "External Connection Detail"

The information in "External Connection Detail" does not need to be changed - changing it will result in the objects losing their rows/columns and not being able to feed in the external data - hence the error message.

Then, change any record for any user to the UUID of MDAwMDEyMzQ0Mg== 

That should allow you to complete the challenge.
BerginBergin
I too had the same issue. The api name was Phone_Plans__x and i had to change it to Phone_Plan__x (removing the s from Plans).
Same for Phones__x, change to Phone__x.