function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MrBrianMrBrian 

Create a lookup relationship on Account Object for the new "Account Contact Relationship" Object

Being able to create Account Contact Relationships has been very valuable for our org so that we can relate a single contact to multiple accounts. However, we currently have several lookup fields on the account object for related contacts (filtering eg; Account Decision Maker: Account ID equals Account: Account ID). I would to change these field's to look up an "Account Contact Relationship" instead of a direct contact, so that I can lookup indirect contacts and still meet a simple filter criteria. Another solution would seem to be to adjust my lookup field filter criteria to accept any contacts where any of the related account IDs match the record's ID, however this is not an option currently.

This seems to be a major shortcoming of the new ability to relate contacts to multiple accounts. Am I missing something, or does anyone know of a workaround aside from simply completely removing my lookup field filter?

Thank you.
UC InnovationUC Innovation
When you say the new "Account Contact Relationship" object, are you referring to the Account Contact Role related list on the Account object?  If so, I don't think you can change the existing fields to look up to the Account Contact Role object. You'll need to create new Account Contact Role records for each account to mirror what you have with the existing fields, and then remove the existing fields if they are no longer needed.
MrBrianMrBrian
No, as of the summer 16 release there is a new standard obect called Account Contact Relationship that serves as a linking object, allowing you to link a single contact to multiple account.
UC InnovationUC Innovation
You are right.  I see it now.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we can create a lookup field to the Account Contact Relationship object.  It seems like it's one of those special Salesforce object that doesn't work like the rest.  I guess that make sense since it's only applicable to accounts and contacts, so it's not a generalized standard object.
Peter Grandt 4Peter Grandt 4
We have a similar problem after enabling Account Contact Relationship. Does anyone have a workaround on this?
MrBrianMrBrian
The workaround I ended up using is to make the lookup filters optional instead of required, so that users may relate contacts under other accounts if they wish. Hopefully a better solution will be deployed in the Winter release.