function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sri sfdcsri sfdc 

how to control pick list values among the users

Hi ,

I have pick list values like 1,2,3,4,.....20 . There are 5 useres. user1 can see 2,3,4,5 values and U2 can see 1,5,6, values. Like that other users can see different pick list values. How can I achive this. 

Thanks
Best Answer chosen by sri sfdc
Maharajan CMaharajan C
Hi Sri,

Sorry for the late reply,

Unless using the Record types or vf page you can't Control the picklist based on the user's(i.e Users profiles).

your question is good but that 50 users are comes under the 5 to 10 profiles right.Here the record type are associated with the users profiles not with the users.so you no need to worry about creating 50 record types because we are only going to create 5 to 10 record types.

My another suggestion is you to creating a validation rule to stop the users to edit the other users picklist But you can't stop the users seeing the Full Picklist Values only you can control the access.

The VR Formula Like below:

AND( $Profile.Id = "15 Digit Profile ID of User", NOT(ISBLANK(TEXT(Picklist_Field__c))), TEXT(Picklist_Field__c)<>"Option1", TEXT(Picklist_Field__c)<>"Option2" )

Let me know if you want any further help.

If those points are help means mark these as a best answer.

Thanks,
Raj
(Sweet Potato Tec)

All Answers

Maharajan CMaharajan C

Hi Sri,

Picklist values are only differentiated by using the Record types.And status fields are only differentiated by using Processes in object

For that you have to create a 5record types and then assign those record types to the users profile( 1st record type = user1 profile,2st record type = user2 profile....)

After that goto the record types -> click on the record type label ->Picklists Available for Editing->Shows the list of Picklist->click edit on  your picklist->move the values which are you need to display in this record type( Available Values to Selected Values) ->save

Do the above steps for the 5 Record types to show the diff picklist values based on users profile.

use the below link to create a record type : https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=creating_record_types.htm&language=en_US

Thanks,
Raj
(Sweet Potato Tec)

sri sfdcsri sfdc
Hi Raj ,

Thanks for reply. Rather than record type is there any other solution for this. Because If I have 50 users then it will be difficult to create 50 record types right. 
VineetKumarVineetKumar
Ok, if not by record type, then how are you going to know for which users which value to show? are there any values on user that can be checked?
If you are expecting something like, setting picklist value specific to a user, then that is not possible.
Above is the only point and click solution, else go for a custom solution VF page.
Maharajan CMaharajan C
Hi Sri,

Sorry for the late reply,

Unless using the Record types or vf page you can't Control the picklist based on the user's(i.e Users profiles).

your question is good but that 50 users are comes under the 5 to 10 profiles right.Here the record type are associated with the users profiles not with the users.so you no need to worry about creating 50 record types because we are only going to create 5 to 10 record types.

My another suggestion is you to creating a validation rule to stop the users to edit the other users picklist But you can't stop the users seeing the Full Picklist Values only you can control the access.

The VR Formula Like below:

AND( $Profile.Id = "15 Digit Profile ID of User", NOT(ISBLANK(TEXT(Picklist_Field__c))), TEXT(Picklist_Field__c)<>"Option1", TEXT(Picklist_Field__c)<>"Option2" )

Thanks,
Raj
(Sweet Potato Tec)

This was selected as the best answer
Imran khan 207Imran khan 207
i need to assign a user to delete a product but when the user select a particular pick list value
How do i assign user to delete a product from the opportunity when the user is select the particular pick list value from the field   
Jon McMahanJon McMahan
I have many picklist values that have been added to the standard picklist field in cases and I don't want them all to show up in every record type.  Can I choose which value based on record type in the case object?  

suman kumar 59suman kumar 59
I too have similar requirement to control the Case Origin values 
Shubham Dhanuka 9Shubham Dhanuka 9
Hi @Jon McMahan @suman kumar 59
did you find the solution??