function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Pankaj_KatharPankaj_Kathar 

OWD confusion in Recruiting App

Hi Admins!

Can anyone please help me clear my understanding here on OWD?

There is a Position custom object and below are the object level permissions set at (Profile/Permission set) level for it.

Recruiter Profile - Read,Create,Edit
Hiring Manager Permission set - Read,Create,Edit*
Interviewer Permission set - Read (No access to Max Pay and Min pay field )
Standard Employee Profile - Read (No access to Max Pay and Min pay field )

It has been mentioned that OWD setting will be Public Read-only considering most restricted profile as Standard Employee profile users.

But i have question and confusion, why we do not have Position OWD set as Public Read/Write because i think we already have restricted access to Position object records at Profile and Permission set level.

User-added image
Best Answer chosen by Pankaj_Kathar
Hitesh ChillappagariHitesh Chillappagari
Hi Pankaj!

I've worked on this application. The profiles and permission sets pertain to particular users where as the OWD rules apply all across the org.
So we give owd based on the user who has minimum permission on the object and then open it up using role hirarchy, sharing rules and manual sharing.
So for this application standard employee has minimum access to the position object. So we set OWD to public read only making sure standart employee profile and all other profiles only can read any record of the position object. On the other hand Recruiter must have read create and edit permissions on the position object. But owd settings on position object restricts recuiter from that so we create a sharing rule on the position object in order to give edit permission on all records.

Just to clarify whenever there is a conflict between profile permissions and owd the most restrictive settings win and we have to use sharing rules or role hierarchy to solve the problem.
hope this helps
please mark it as the best answer if this cleared your doubts