function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Linda 98Linda 98 

Steps to transfer org

My company has decided to move entire metadata and data to new org.(Due to some reasons)
So i am trying to start with that.Apart from data,we are having apps,installed packages,std objects,custom objects,community, and many more

So where should i start with?what should i transport first?
Any pointers please.
Best Answer chosen by Linda 98
Timothy Gentet O'BrienTimothy Gentet O'Brien
+1 to what @Ajeet28aug mentioned.

You can also download an IDE tool such as MavensMate or Eclipse and download all of your Metadata using this. You can then migrate all of the Metadata into the new Org after you have everything exported.

I would recommend installing all of your Managed Packages that you have in your new org prior to doing the Metadata migration, I have hit issues before where trying to pull across Metadata that interracted with Managed Packages caused a LOT of issues. I would also recommend ignoring Process Builders and Flows out of the migration, I have also had a LOT of issues with these... it would be a lot faster to manually create them again in the new org, or try and create them once you have everything else migrated.

The Community should also be created in the new org, you can create a blank one, as long as there is a community there with the same name, it should make the migration easier.

All Answers

Ajeet28augAjeet28aug
Hi Linda,

If you want to move all your metadata, go with ANT migration tool. You can refer http://www.jitendrazaa.com/blog/salesforce/salesforce-migration-tool-ant/ for any guidance. 
This is the best migration tool. It will move entire metadata. And after that, you can use data loader for migrating data. 

Thanks & Best Regards
Ajeet

+1 to what @Ajeet28aug mentioned.

You can also download an IDE tool such as MavensMate or Eclipse and download all of your Metadata using this. You can then migrate all of the Metadata into the new Org after you have everything exported.

I would recommend installing all of your Managed Packages that you have in your new org prior to doing the Metadata migration, I have hit issues before where trying to pull across Metadata that interracted with Managed Packages caused a LOT of issues. I would also recommend ignoring Process Builders and Flows out of the migration, I have also had a LOT of issues with these... it would be a lot faster to manually create them again in the new org, or try and create them once you have everything else migrated.

The Community should also be created in the new org, you can create a blank one, as long as there is a community there with the same name, it should make the migration easier.
This was selected as the best answer
Linda 98Linda 98
Thank you.
Thats what i am looking for.So how about settings in installed packages.Like adding custom button(Which is from package) and other ?Should i have to do them ?How can i get them in to my target org?
You will need to re-create them, they won't download with the metadat export as they are on sObjects that are in a managed package.