function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Hawk HawkinsHawk Hawkins 

Trailhead Basics; Analytics Basics (Start exploring...). Multiple logins and Sites

SO frustrating. I'm spending all my time creating logins for multiple Salesforce sites (I've got at least 3, perhaps 4). Don't know why, or what they're for. Can't even complete the most basic modules (and I've got a Master's degree, I'm not stupid). Can we just keep it simple and actually learn the platform and stop with the "now you have to go to this site in an incognito window and create yet another login and use this fake username" stuff?

Grrrrrrr
jigarshahjigarshah
Hawk,

Can you please elaborate on what you are attempting to do in detail with the steps? Perhaps I may be able to help you out.
Hawk HawkinsHawk Hawkins
I have no idea now. It took me over an hour to finally figure out how to install an app in the Trailhead Basics trail. Several others on our team have simply given up after hourly of trying. Then I moved on to the Analytics Basics trail. I had to create a Developer Edition login (that’s now my FOURTH Trailhead login and I’m not even done my second trail!!). So now I’m just lost between browsers and incognito tabs and which login to use for what. I feel like I’m in a tangled mess and can’t extract myself from the web, much less understand why I had to create the logins or why I even need them. I think the whole thing is overall complicated and convoluted. Others on my team feel the same way, and we’ve all got advanced degrees. Is there a way to simplify this? Jeffery ("Hawk") Hawkins
jigarshahjigarshah
Jeffrey,

I believe its best if you first take the below listed modules within the following trail on Learn Salesforce with Trailhead (https://trailhead.salesforce.com/trails/learn_salesforce_with_trailhead) that should get you acquainted with the Trailhead ecosystem. This trail comprises of the following modules which should give you a great start to udnerstanding how trailhead works and should ease of the frustration for your colleagues. Just give these modules a shot and I bet you will start udnerstanding trailhead better. If you still have a problem post it back and you should get a resolution.

Additionally, I can help you get you acquainted and started with the Trailhead eco system.

Understanding Trailhead Account Logins
You can login to Trailhead via 2 main channels
  1. Using your existing Salesforce org's user credentials. This ties in your Trailhead account login to that org's user credential.
  2. Using any of the following Social Media account credentials. This will tie in your Trailhead account login to that particular social media account's credentials
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • LinkedIn

Understanding Trailhead Playgrounds
Once login, you will need an envrionment to perform your hands on exercises and these envrionments are termed as Trailhead Playgrounds. YOu can have multiple Trailhead PLaygrounds associated with a single Trailhead account. Your Trailhead account login can be tied in with 2 basic types of Trailhead Playgrounds, which help you practice the handson exercises listed on Trialhead.
  1. Trailhead Generated Salesforce Orgs: These are ready to use Salesforce Developer Envrionments custom tailored for trailhead hands on exercises. All you need to do, to get one is to launch one. One of the things to note is they will always have a wierd name for e.g. curious-goat-123456.com
  2. Existing Salesforce Orgs: If you have an existing Salesforce Developer Edition org which you have been using and intend to use that to perform your trailhead exercises, you can do so by using the Connect an org option by clicking your Trialhead User Image and then navigating to Settings.
Once you have the above 2 things sorted out, you can search for specific topics based on your need. And if you are overwhelmed with the options, just follow the Trails which are guided learning paths through modules and projects that help you cover the most ground in the shortest amount of time, by choosing your
  1. Role
  2. Level of Expertise
  3. Product of Interest
As you complete modules you will be awarded badges and points which make a up a Trailhead Rank (https://trailhead.salesforce.com/en/trailblazer-ranks). Objective is to learn through fun and achieve the Ranger Rank.

Hope this helps you get some clarity. Happy Trailheading!
Pete TynanPete Tynan
I've been following this thread as I'm really struggling to navigate Salesforce, trailhead and even this forum. It is constantly asking me to log in to different areas of Salesforce. I echo what Jeffrey says - it is really really frustrating. 

I've been trying to follow the basic trailhead exercises without success as I can't find anything in the playgound related to the exercises around Dreamhouse realty. I've checked and followed the instructions in the post above but when I launch the playground directly from the exercise - I get a playgound called Cunning Bear - but it has nothing to do with the exercise. It's got some information on United Oil but is nothjing to do with the Trailhead excercise. 

How can I get to the right playground? Or what am I doing wrong?
Thanks
jigarshahjigarshah
Pete,
  • The exercise mentions the link to installing the package. Well here you go - https://login.salesforce.com/?ec=302&startURL=%2Fpackaging%2FinstallPackage.apexp%3Fp0%3D04tB00000009UeX . (In case you need to install this on your Sandbox, just replace the term login in the previous link with test). Once you have the link, login to the Trailhead Playground of your choice and follow the steps below. 
  • Open a new tab within the same browser, and paste the installation link in the address bar of the web browser. It should then take you through a series of installation steps provided, you are logged into that Salesforce org.
  • Once the installation is successful, you should be able to see the respective package installed under Setup > Installed Packages within the respective Salesforce org.
Hope that helps.
Pete TynanPete Tynan
Thanks for the prompt reply Jigarshah

The package starts loading but then I get an error 

This app can't be installed.
There are problems that prevent this package from being installed.
Apex Classes(classes/BotHandler.cls-meta.xml) Missing featureInstalling this package requires the following feature and its associated permissions: Apex Classes
Apex Triggers(triggers/RejectDuplicateFavorite.trigger) Missing featureInstalling this package requires the following feature and its associated permissions: Apex Triggers

do you have any advice?
Thanks
Pete
jigarshahjigarshah
  • Are you trying to install this on a Professional Edition Salesforce Org where Apex is not permitted? The error mentions that the feature of Apex Classes and Trigger is unavailable on your org which is restricting your package from being installed. You can check your Salesforce org's Edition by navigating to Setup > Company Information within your Salesforce org.
  • You will need either an Enterprise, Unlimited or a Developer edition Salesforce org where Apex is permitted, so that package can be installed.
  • Other thing you may want to check if your Salesforce User Profile has Author Apex permissions which could be a potential issue.
Pete TynanPete Tynan
Thanks.

I'm using a Developer edition which I set up as trial - so it's not a company set-up. So I'm using it out-of-the-box without any configurations by my business.
I can't find any mention of Author Apex in my profile. there's just a check box about sending Apex warnings. How do I access Apex author Permissions?

Thanks
jigarshahjigarshah
Pete,

Installing the package for All Users in your org requires the following permissions. Specify the following settings on all internal custom profiles.
  • Object permissions—“Read,” “Create,” “Edit,” and “Delete” enabled
  • Field-level security—set to visible and editable for all fields
  • Apex classes—enabled
  • Visualforce pages—enabled
  • App settings—enabled
  • Tab settings—determined by the package creator
  • Page layout settings—determined by the package creator
  • Record Type settings—determined by the package creator

You can refer to the following article on specifics of Installing a Package in Salesforce. (https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=distribution_installing_packages.htm&type=5)
jigarshahjigarshah
Pete,

Has this issue been resolved for you?