function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mahesh@sfworldMahesh@sfworld 

update a LOOKUP field on child object with relationship to parent object

Hi Everyone,
we have a integration environment Between DataStage and Salesforce .Currently we are  using data loader script (process xml) file with the reference to mapping file for "upsert operation ".my requirement is to establish a relationship between Bond (at parent object) to a Coverages(child object ) ..There is a Bond field on child object defined as  "Lookup(Bond)"..In mapping file,for updating LOOKUP (I.e.Bond)  field on child object (i.e Coverage)..I have defined as below 
Bond__r_ExternalID__c=Bond__r\:ExternalID__c
With the above mapping "Bond"field (CHILD object field )is getting updated with ExternalID of Bond record (Parent externalID)
Example :Initially Parent Object "Bond" is created with ExternalID =1234 .After that Child object "Coverages" lookup field "Bond" is updated with value Bond_ExternalID=1234" .So this way coverages are linked to the Bond (Parent object).
For the same scenario mentioned :
We would like to use "salesforce pack for datastage " .How can I define a mapping for child object (Coverages) so that (Bond) Lookup field for upsert operation is updated with Parent Bond record (Parent externalID)?

Please let me know the resolution how can I achieve above requirement to work it properly.

Thanks,
Dev

Scott Fawcett 4Scott Fawcett 4
Did you get an answer to this? We are trying to achieve the same result.

Thanks.
deepak_naikdeepak_naik
Hi

As per the present functionality of the  Salesforce Stage of Information Server, for a Parent-Child Relation, the Child Record can be upserted using either the External ID of the Parent Object or the ID of Parent Object.
For example, for an object "PARENT", for one record we have the fields "ID" as "a2s2G000004FnRkQAK" and the "External ID" as "ExtPARENT00001", then we can load data into the Child Object, for example "CHILD01" using either the "ID" field or the "External ID" of the Parent Object
The record can be loaded into the Child Object (CHILD01) with the data and metadata as follows
(a) "ExtIDCHILD0001"( External ID CHILD01), "John" (Name CHILD01),"a2s2G000004FnRkQAK" (ID - PARENT)"
or
(b) "ExtIDCHILD0001"( External ID CHILD01), "John" (Name CHILD01),"ExtPARENT00001" (External ID - PARENT)"

The example (b) as mentioned above must meet your rerquirement as I understand. If not, please let us know what is required

Regds,
Deepak