function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Arthur Lockrem 9Arthur Lockrem 9 

sfdx force:auth:web:login displays a blank page

I am working through the following Trailhead and setting up Salesforce DX for the first time.
https://trailhead.salesforce.com/trails/sfdx_get_started/projects/quick-start-salesforce-dx/steps/set-up-your-salesforce-dx-environment

sfdx is installed on Mac.  sfdx --version returns: sfdx-cli/6.1.19-4341549 (darwin-x64) node-v8.9.4

When I attempt to login to the dev hub I am presented with a blank Google Chrome screen.  No URL.  Just a blank screen.
sfdx force:auth:web:login -d -a DevHub

Other posts suggested using:
- sfdx force:auth:web:login -h (-h is not valid)
- sfdx force:auth:web:login (same blank screen displayed)

Any help is appreciated.
Best Answer chosen by Arthur Lockrem 9
This was a bug in the chrome browsers.  To resolve this, I restarted chrome using the following command in the address bar of the chrome browser.

chrome://restart

My next attempt worked as expected.

All Answers

srlawr uksrlawr uk
If you do

sfdx force:org:list

Do you get a list which includes a devhub? Does it have the default flag next to it? If not, set a default with 

sfdx force:auth:web:login --setalias <thealias>

Though it does sound like it's trying to launch something.. rather than nothing. You weren't working on a trial devhub (pretty much all we had until recently) which will have expired after 30 days?

Or do you have any script blockers or ad blockers which might stop your browser redirecting automatically?
sfdx force:org:list returns ERROR:  No scratch orgs can be found. 

sfdx force:auth:web:login --setalias <thealias> returns the same blank screen as originally reported.

I just signed up for my trial org today (as suggested in the Sign Up for a Developer Hub Trial Org section of the Trailhead unit).  The window never even starts the oauth process, so the org type isn't even known when the blank window appears.

No pop-up blockers.  No indication in the chrome console that anything is being blocked.
Update: I just performed the exact same tests on a different Mac and am having the same results.

Since the only 2 constants are the Salesforce DX version (6.1.19-4341549) and me, either:
1. I am doing something wrong.  I hope someone can help me understand what that is.
2. There is a bug with the latest version.  This seems unlikely to me, but a possibility.

Has anyone had success running that command on the latest version?
This was a bug in the chrome browsers.  To resolve this, I restarted chrome using the following command in the address bar of the chrome browser.

chrome://restart

My next attempt worked as expected.
This was selected as the best answer
Andree HurleyAndree Hurley
Did you figure this out? I seem to often get a blank screen on the lower right, but not always. Thank you, Andree