function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matt FolgerMatt Folger 

Trying to determine the best tool for this job

Hi, I'm trying to create a simple program that tracks some demo cases that we have out in the field.  Hitting a wall in regards to every tool I try and use in Salesforce.  

Here is what I'm trying to do, 
I've got a demo kit that needs to transfer ownership from one user to another, but needs to be vetted by their manager.  The manager just needs to be notified that User A is trying to transfer ownership of a case to User B.  Don't want to just let User A or User B change the ownership of this file without having the process vetted by the manager every time. 

Should I use an Approval Process, a Flow, Process Builder, Workflow Rules?  Any help appreciated!
Best Answer chosen by Matt Folger
HARSHIL U PARIKHHARSHIL U PARIKH
I understand! I suggest you creating a picklist field first nasmed Approval_Status__c with values as NEW, PENDING, APPROVED, REJECTED. Then create an approval process which updates each of these values accordingly. The interface for an approval process is very straightforard though.. Little similar like creating a workflow rule.

I would also suggest, turn off any active workflow or process you may have on this topic for until you get this Approval process working.

You can watch a video on how to create an approval process if you are new though.
Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puaGmDL9AnM

Matt, this is a very strong feature and strong skill to have and worth spending time for since you will be able to solve several other assignments like these.

Hope this helps and if you are stuck understanding a process then post your question right on this post or in another post. Take care!

All Answers

Approval Process!

Create an Approval Process on that particular object and set up a workflow which would update Approval Status to APPROVED. Now, create a validation rule which would fire when user try to change a OwnerId field to something else (by transfering) and Approval Status field is NOT(Approved).

Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Sorry, I've never setup an approval process before.  I've been going between Process Builder (but have had a lot of bugs and errors and permission issues) and Approval Processes but both of them seem only like a partial solution to the issue.  

I setup an Approval Process that fires whenever a field that I created called "Change Owner to" is populated.  I can't set the same criteria on the actual OwnerID, due to a platform limitation.  If I do a "ISCHANGED(OwnerID) as the Entry Criteria for an approval process it errors with "Error: Function ISCHANGED may not be used in this type of formula".  So I (apparently) have to use this substitution field (a custom field I created) called "Change Ownership to" and then use the following "NOT(ISNULL(Change_Ownership_to__c))" validation to fire the approval process.  

However, since I can only create this approval process on a field that isn't the actual Owner field, there isn't anything I can see as part of the Approval Process that would automatically update the Owner field.  The "Field Update" criteria wants a fixed value, it will not accept another field or variable for substitution like Process Builder will... even though Process builder fails with other errors.... lol

I go back and forth between Process Builder and this Approval Process and I'm starting to get dizzy.  Help!  =^)
I understand! I suggest you creating a picklist field first nasmed Approval_Status__c with values as NEW, PENDING, APPROVED, REJECTED. Then create an approval process which updates each of these values accordingly. The interface for an approval process is very straightforard though.. Little similar like creating a workflow rule.

I would also suggest, turn off any active workflow or process you may have on this topic for until you get this Approval process working.

You can watch a video on how to create an approval process if you are new though.
Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puaGmDL9AnM

Matt, this is a very strong feature and strong skill to have and worth spending time for since you will be able to solve several other assignments like these.

Hope this helps and if you are stuck understanding a process then post your question right on this post or in another post. Take care!
This was selected as the best answer
Matt FolgerMatt Folger
Thanks for the help, got this partial setup and going to tackle it more this weekend.  =)