function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Azeez ThummalapalliAzeez Thummalapalli 

Is Scientific notation allowed in double

Apex document clearly says, 'Scientific notation (e) for Doubles is not supported'. But again, Salesforce Object Reference guide says, 'Values can be stored in scientific notation if the number is large enough, or small enough negative'. So, here is the ambiguity.
As per my experience and knowledge in Salesforce, when I re-read the statements it seems they are correct. But I wanted to confirm the same here, if my analysis is correct.
So, the actual meaning of the above statements is "yes, double values does not allow scientific notations, and even double type fields (Currency, Percent) does not allow user to enter scientific notation as value in UI. But, internally if the value is too small or large then the value can be stored as scientific notation in database, and it may return the value in scientific notation when retrieved in dataloader"
Correct me if I am wrong, and clarify the ambiguity.

Thank you.

Azeez ThummalapalliAzeez Thummalapalli
After a bit of investigation, I have posted the answer/details of this question here (https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/216441/is-scientific-notation-allowed-in-double/216446#216446)