function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Afzaal HassanAfzaal Hassan 

populate field of an object by value from another object

Hello 
I have a field called "Contract Email 2" in the Account object. I want this field to be filled with the email that is on the field "Contract Email" in the Payee object. It shouls also update if that Payee object email changes. I wrote this trigger but my Contract Email 2 is always blank and not filling with the email that is on the Payee object. Can someone please help with this? My trigger is below:
So I am taking this step by step. For now, if someone changes or adds the contract email in Payee__c, I would like that email address/value to populate the field "Contract_Email_2" in the Account object. I wrote the following trigger, but the field in the account object is not working. Any ideas why?
trigger PayeeUpdateOnAccount on Payee__c (after update) {
    List<Payee_Client_Agreements__c> pcaList = [SELECT ID, Payee_Type__c, Payee__r.Contract_Email__c, Client__c from Payee_Client_Agreements__c WHERE Payee_ID__c IN :Trigger.newMap.keyset()];
    List<Account> accountsToupdate = new List <Account>();

Map<Id, Payee_Client_Agreements__c> clientToPcaMap = new Map<Id, Payee_Client_Agreements__c>();
    for(Payee_Client_Agreements__c pca : pcaList){
        if(pca.Payee_Type__c == 'Broker'){       
        clientToPcaMap.put(pca.Client__c, pca);
       }
     }
    List<Account> acctList = [SELECT ID, Contract_Email_2__c from Account Where ID IN :clientToPcaMap.keySet()];
    for( Account acct : acctList ){
        if(acct.Contract_Email_2__c != clientToPcaMap.get(acct.Id).Payee__r.Contract_Email__c){
            acct.Contract_Email_2__c = clientToPcaMap.get(acct.Id).Payee__r.Contract_Email__c;
            accountsToupdate.add(acct);
        }         
    }
    if (accountsToupdate.isEmpty()){
        update accountsToupdate;
      }

/**for (Payee__c py : Trigger.new) {
        String payeeID = py.Payee_ID__c;
        //List<Payee_Client_Agreements__c> pcaList = [SELECT ID, Payee_Type__c, Payee__r.Contract_Email__c from Payee_Client_Agreements__c where Payee_ID__c =: payeeID];
        if(!pcaList.isEmpty()){
            for (Payee_Client_Agreements__c pObj : pcaList) {
                update pObj;
            } 

} 
    } **/
}

Raj VakatiRaj Vakati
Change if condition to below.  If it is not empty you need to update but you are checking another way

if (!accountsToupdate.isEmpty()){
        update accountsToupdate;
      }

Raj VakatiRaj Vakati
trigger PayeeUpdateOnAccount on Payee__c (after update) {
    List<Payee_Client_Agreements__c> pcaList = [SELECT ID, Payee_Type__c, Payee__r.Contract_Email__c, Client__c from Payee_Client_Agreements__c
	WHERE Payee_ID__c IN :Trigger.newMap.keyset()];
    List<Account> accountsToupdate = new List <Account>();

Map<Id, Payee_Client_Agreements__c> clientToPcaMap = new Map<Id, Payee_Client_Agreements__c>();
    for(Payee_Client_Agreements__c pca : pcaList){
        if(pca.Payee_Type__c == 'Broker'){       
        clientToPcaMap.put(pca.Client__c, pca);
       }
     }
    List<Account> acctList = [SELECT ID, Contract_Email_2__c from Account Where ID IN :clientToPcaMap.keySet()];
    for( Account acct : acctList ){
        if(acct.Contract_Email_2__c != clientToPcaMap.get(acct.Id).Payee__r.Contract_Email__c){
            acct.Contract_Email_2__c = clientToPcaMap.get(acct.Id).Payee__r.Contract_Email__c;
            accountsToupdate.add(acct);
        }         
    }
    if (!accountsToupdate.isEmpty()){
        update accountsToupdate;
      }

/**for (Payee__c py : Trigger.new) {
        String payeeID = py.Payee_ID__c;
        //List<Payee_Client_Agreements__c> pcaList = [SELECT ID, Payee_Type__c, Payee__r.Contract_Email__c from Payee_Client_Agreements__c where Payee_ID__c =: payeeID];
        if(!pcaList.isEmpty()){
            for (Payee_Client_Agreements__c pObj : pcaList) {
                update pObj;
            } 

} 
    } **/
}

@Raj V. 
I am putting some system.debug statments and its not even entering my trigger when i make updates/put an email in Payee field, so therefore i feel like the account is not going to update

Raj VakatiRaj Vakati
Your trigger will fire only if you update data on Payee__c  object . not when you update the Payee__c  filed on account 
Raj V
That is what I want, as soon as I put the value of email in Payee, it should start a trigger that takes the value and updates the account's field. Its not doing that. nothing is happening. nothing is firing that trigger
Raj VakatiRaj Vakati
Is your trigger is active??
@Raj V 
The trigger is active