function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Internal PartnerInternal Partner 

Wildcards can not be used for a search in a lookup

Hi all,

When you look for the name of a record in a lookup in Lightning, it gives you as result only the records you recently viewed.
I was reading that some users reporting the same problem, were able to use wildcards and find the desired results.
I tried using wildcards for my search but this was pointless. For example: M*, *, M?r

Is there something I am missing here so I am even not able to use wildcards when searching in the lookup?.

Note: I won't select answers only pointing to Salesforce Documentation or copy/paste from other sides as best answers.

Scott Nelson SolutionistScott Nelson Solutionist
Minimum 3 characters for the search. I expect the wildcard would have to be a 4th. Global search versus object-level search can effect your results as well. Object permissions are also a factor. Search will only return records you have access to.

HTH
Hi Scott, thanks for responding. Even if I write 3 characters and then a wildcard, the lookup doesn't find anything.
I am Admin, so I have permissions to see/edit the object.
Scott Nelson SolutionistScott Nelson Solutionist
Not all objects and fields are searchable by default. That said, I see some erratic results,as if the indexes are being created only after searching. 
Now I am in some way confused. We have also a Lookup to User. There is no filter there but when I want to select a User I have never viewed recently, this user appears for the selection, though. Can please somebody tell me why? and why this doesn't happen with a lookup to a custom object?.