function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Dave The RaveDave The Rave 

Dataloader Error - Attempt to de-reference a null object

Hi All,

I am trying to update 1 custom field of existing records using the dataloader, I get this error in the dataloader

"Attempt to de-reference a null object"

How can I solve this?

In my CSV file there are only 2 columns of data, contact ID and FakeTriggerField. There are definately comma separating each column of data.

Thanks,

Dave
Akshay_DhimanAkshay_Dhiman
Hi Dave,

Are you sure your IDs are correct?  Or you have missed any required field, Try to import in smaller batches and to see if it works.

Please let me know if you have any query.  Please mark it as best answer if it helps you.

Thanks,
Akshay

Alain CabonAlain Cabon
View the Data Loader Log File: If you need to investigate a problem with Data Loader, or if requested by Salesforce Customer Support, you can access log files that track the operations and network connections made by Data Loader.
If you are using Data Loader for Windows, view the log file by entering %TEMP%\sdl.log in either the Run dialog or the Windows Explorer address bar.
https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.dataLoader.meta/dataLoader/loader_troubleshooting.htm

That could be a trigger on your object Contact. Do you see anything in this log file?

"Attempt to de-reference a null object" often means that a test "if ( myReference != null)" is missing in the code of your trigger and you are trying to use the reference of a collection or an instance of an object to get other values ( myReference.field__c for instance whereas myReference is null)