function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Alessandro PerucchiAlessandro Perucchi 

Question concerning the default home app in Salesforce Lightning interface

Hello,
I am trying to switch to the lightning interface. And to be honnest this is a real nightmare, all the things that we have learned on the classic is not available easily in the new lightning experience.
From a user perspective, this is nice and wonderful, lots of color, quite a futurist look and feel, until someone wants to customize... and then Bang the nightmare begins, there are no user customization possible, everything is done via apps. and there is a need to do customization per profile. And the user cannot do any modifications... or at least not what I could see.

Right now I am trying for myself (Profile System Administrator) to simply change my home page, not the content of the page, but simply the app that provides me the upper layer of tabs. I have spent hours to look in google and the forum and the documentation... apparently I need:

1) search the profile to change
2) Change the default app for that profile
3) logout & login
4) the default app should be there.

In reality, my default app for my profile is stuck to the same default app that I want to remove... I am really desperate and frustrated, The things that should be simple, ergonomics and simple are overly complicated, especially if it doesn't work.

So please, could you help me? I just want to change

1) the default when I log in the web interface (no mobile, just the simple browser)
2) And also change the content that appears under the tabs... even if I have changed them, the end result is that nothing has changed.

Thank you in advance,
Alessandro
Scott Nelson SolutionistScott Nelson Solutionist
Hi Alessandro,

The first time default landing page is configured at the profile level. After that, the default is the last page you were on. 
The actual Home Page is a Lightning Page type, so if you only have one then everyone will have the same. To have different home pages, create them then assign them by profile.

Moving to Lightning from classic after having learned in classic is not something that should be a leap but a process. I suggest you take the Trailhead modules for Lightning and Lighning migration first before planning your move.

HTH
Scott S Nelson
I know this should be a process. This is the theory, and then there is the reality, and both are not the same. And in our case, due to several unfortunate events, we have bypassed completely the process and we must deal with that incredible new complexity. So back to the original question. What I don’t understand, I have assigned to the profile a new app to have a new home page. And I still have the original one. What am I doing wrong? is this a cache problem? Could you provide me a quick step by step way to do it? Is my short step by step wrong? 1) search the profile to change 2) Change the default app for that profile (InformationCustom App Settings -> select Default for the wanted App) 3) logout & login 4) the default app should be there. But I still get the old default app and/or view. ??? Thanks again, Alessandro > JAHIA empowers organizations to create sophisticated websites that drive their business growth.
Scott Nelson SolutionistScott Nelson Solutionist
Default app applies only to first time login. After the first login whatever the last app viewed when last logged in will be what is seen on the next login.

To demonstrate this, try logging in as admin, create a new user, assign them the new default app, log out, then log in as the new user. 

HTH
Scott S Nelson
What?
And what if I want to change the default App after the 1st login? Is this possible?
Please don't tell me this is not possible...