function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Dave ColliverDave Colliver 

Getting Started Questions - Upload to Leads or Contacts? - Best Practices

Hello,

I'm testing and playing around with the salesforce.com developer account.  I have about 40 seperate spreadsheets with a variety of contact information included in them.  High level estimate is around 35K records, but I'm thinking there may be a substantial amount of duplicates.  I'd like put together a database so further additions to the contact list can be easily find duplicates, naming convention errors, etc.  I first need to clean up the spreadsheets and remove duplicates.  I have begun this step.

Can a salesforce.com developer account hold this many records?
Should I upload them as "leads" or "contacts"?  Are there any pros / cons to either? 
Some of the spreadsheets have 23 data fields for one contact.  I believe that I will have to create "custom object" fields on either the lead or contact page to allow the import to "map" correctly.  Is this doable with a developer account?

Any other best practices I should follow?

Many thanks,

Dave
Best Answer chosen by Dave Colliver
NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Dave,

I can see that you have mentioned its number if spreadsheets containing a variety of contact information. Whether to import the data as lead or contact purely depends on your requirement.

I would suggest you import the data as leads because later you can convert the same into account, contact, and opportunity.

As you have also mentioned that you need to clean up data in order to avoid duplicates better you import the data as leads, and once the cleanup process is done later you can convert the same into contacts.

Hope this helps.

Kindly mark this as solved if the reply was helpful.

Thanks,
Nagendra

All Answers

Hi Dave,

There is no limit how many contacts you can load into salesforce as long as you have the data storage.

Storage size depends on the number of records. You do have limits in terms of the number of fields you can have per object but typically speaking a single record is going to end up being about 2kb. If you are concerned about your available storage you can always add more which comes at an additional cost. Your Accounts Executive can work with you on that though.

20MB is the maximum data space an object can hold in developer edition account which approximately comes to 1000 accounts and contacts.

Typically speaking, no of records will vary depending upon no. of custom fields you have on these objects.

I would suggest you please get in touch with your accounts executive for a better storage edition such that you can store those large number of records as per your requirement.

Hope this helps.

Kindly mark this as solved if the reply was helpful so that it gets removed from the unanswered queue which results in helping others who are encountering a similar issue.

Thanks,
Nagendra
Dave ColliverDave Colliver
Thanks Nagendra.  This is helpful.  What would be your thoughts on whether to load them in as leads or contacts?  Does it matter from a custom field, functionality perspective?
Hi Dave,

I can see that you have mentioned its number if spreadsheets containing a variety of contact information. Whether to import the data as lead or contact purely depends on your requirement.

I would suggest you import the data as leads because later you can convert the same into account, contact, and opportunity.

As you have also mentioned that you need to clean up data in order to avoid duplicates better you import the data as leads, and once the cleanup process is done later you can convert the same into contacts.

Hope this helps.

Kindly mark this as solved if the reply was helpful.

Thanks,
Nagendra

This was selected as the best answer