function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Melanie ShermanMelanie Sherman 

Need to add Extra Decimal Point for some quote line items

We have a business requirement for only part of our quoting business to occasional show an extra decimal point on the unit price in Quote line items and Quote total price. We're using standard fields and standard quote object. Wondering if anyone else has had this challenge or knows how to best set it up? Thanks! 
Mario PariseMario Parise
Seeing as how the Quote object's fields are standardized to 2 decimal points, I'm not sure that there's alot of options here.

One option would be to create custom fields in Line Items and Quote, and set them to Currency(16,3) rather than Currency(16,2). However, then you have a question of when and how to populate these fields.

What's the context in which this more-specific decimal point number needs to get set?

Without context, I'll come up with an imaginary example. Let's say I'm a gas station. Most of my products are specified with the customary 2 point decimals, but gas is often more specifc, with prices like 1.469 per litre.

In this case, whenever creating a gas quote, I would specify:

LineItem.Price = 1.47
LineItem.Price2 = 1.469

Likewise, when creating a standard product quote, I would do:

LineItem.Price = 1.47
LineItem.Price2 = 1.47

In this way, any part of the system that's looking for the standard Price field will always find it, and it will be in the format that it expects. But your custom pages/code/stuff can look for Price2, knowing that it will either be the more specific number or default to the 2 decimal point number.

Hoping that makes sense?
Raj VakatiRaj Vakati
You cannt add to the standard Total Price field .. you need to create a new custom fields ...