function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MellieMellie 

Seeking realistic career change advice on becoming a Salesforce Developer

There's so much information online, it's overwhelming and not quite sure what is realistic/credible. How long did it take to get a job with no experience? I have a few years of experience in other CRMs in both the corporate and nonprofit worlds but no hands on Salesforce experience. I did well in an engineering computer science class and learned c++ and MATLAB. I'm planning on starting as an admin and transitioning into a developer, How long do you think I would need to work as an admin before getting a position as a developer? 

What have you heard/experienced in terms of the job market in specific cities? Specifically out west and texas?

Lastly, what kind of remote opportunities are there in this field? Is it tough to get a fully or partially remote gig? 

Thank you!
Akashdeep LNUAkashdeep LNU
Hi Mellie,

As you know for understanding each and every functionality of salesforce definitely takes long time. I would recommend you to take online training of Salesforce Admin and go for the certification beacuse it helps you to grow your basic understanding of the product. I would also recommend you to work in a Salesforce Admin role because real time completing requirements really helps for hands on Salesforce.

I understand that your interested is in developer, for getting into developer position atleast for a year learn Salesforce by working in a admin role so that you will get familiar with all tools and automation.

There is a lot of opportunity in Salesforce, for developer position, I would suggest learn Apex that will help you to get into developer role. 

Thank You