function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Julie CurryJulie Curry 

integrating with our inhouse platform

My company sells a platform as a service and we have been talking about integrating it with salesforce for a while.  And I was just contacted about a potentially urgent need to integrate the two systems to capture new signups to our inhouse platform and send them user activation and email update confirmation notifications.  We're likely going to want the notifications to go out in as close to real time as possible so I'm not even considering the possibility of me using a dataloader to add this info.  

What are the best options to get this functionality up and running as quickly as possible.  I don't think it would necessarily need to be the chosen long term solution, but we need to make sure that our users are getting these emails shortly after they create their users.  I'm not a developer.  I'm a solo salesforce admin so I don't have the expertise inhouse that can communicate the options and level of effort for each.  I do work with salesforce consultants, but this just popped up yesterday and I don't have the time to wait to get this scoped, etc. 

Basically we would be wanting to receive salesforce information for 2 external events.  1) when a user is created on our inhouse platform, and 2) when a user updates his/her email address on our inhouse platform.  These events would result in a record being created or updated, and email alerts would be sent to the leads for each event.  

As I mentioned I'm an admin so I know little about how APIs operate.  I'm trying to understand what we might be looking at in terms of API calls so I figure out if we might need additional calls.  Is it the case that an API call must be made to check for each of these events that have happened and if these things have happened then more calls are made to relay additional info to Salesforce.  Or is it possible to set this up so that an API call is triggered only at the time one of these events occurs (either a new user is created or a user email is updated). 

To help you better understand the situation, these particular leads would be added to salesforce purely for sending these email notifications as SendGrid and other similar products are unacceptable to our customer.  None of these leads would ever be subject to being converted.  They are not our prospects.

Thanks in advance for your help!