function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Himanshu Patel 46Himanshu Patel 46 

Why refresh Sandbox?

Hi All, 

I am bit confused with mentioned best practices in relation to Sandbox refresh. Somewhere I read that sanbox refresh should be done everyday.

Still I can't my get around of whole sandbox refresh concept. Why we even need that?

I thought in small development with one or two developer, each person will get a sandbox on requirement gathering. Finally, the requirements are fullfilled and code should be merged in integration enviornment, which will eventually moved to UAT and development box.
In this whole process why we need to refresh the sandboxes? The Integration environment will always be a copy of Production unless you make the urgent changes, directly, on production. 

In larger team, I guess other developers might need the recent changes which are just applied by someone on development box. However it doesn't mean other developers changes also will wipe out and need to recreate everything?

SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi,

Refreshing a sandbox updates the sandbox’s metadata from its source org. If the sandbox is a clone or if it uses a sandbox template, the refresh process updates the org’s data in addition to its metadata.

Refreshing any sandbox is a great way to know that the configuration you are testing with is the same as the configuration in Production.  If you have very strict configuration change practices, and all configurations are made in the Sandbox first, then deployed to Production, you don't need to refresh the sandbox at all. (I don't know of ANY org that can say they do that 100% of the time).

For a full sandbox, you might consider a refresh (even if you do 100% of your configuration changes in the Sandbox before Production) in order to get up to date data for testing.

https://bluecanvas.io/2017/02/27/salesforce-sandbox-refresh.html

Please mark it as solved if my reply was helpful. It will make it available for other as the proper solution.

Best Regards
Sandhya

Himanshu Patel 46Himanshu Patel 46
@Sandhya,

Thanks for reply. 
I do know what sandbox refresh is doing. My question was what is the point?

As you said "Refreshing any sandbox is a great way to know that the configuration you are testing with is the same as the configuration in Production.". But the issue is refresh will wipe out my Sandbox changes. We are spinning out the sandbox for our own development in first place. Why we want to get the latest changes from Production? We can merge the our changes to production and delete the sandbox.