function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Lindsey PalmquistLindsey Palmquist 

how do i create a text box drop down from a pick list

Hi,
I would like to create a text box from a picklist.  The picklist has several values, and the last option being, "other".  If the user selects 'other' I need there to be a drop down text field for them to enter data.  The drop down text field only needs to be on the 'other' value.  Thanks! 

HARSHIL U PARIKHHARSHIL U PARIKH
For this you need to create a new field named "Please_Explain__c" on page layout and then create a validation rule like below:

AND(
 ISPICKVAL(Your_PickList_Field__c, "Other") ,
   ISBLANK(Please_Explain__c) 
)
Error Message is something like: You have to provide value in Please Explain field if you chooing picklist value as Other.

Disadvantage: You will have that Please_Explain__c field on page layout even when you not need it.
Advantage: If you want to have this Please_Explain__c field only on page layout when there is "Other" selected as pick-list value then you need to create a visulforce page for it and then override with standard page. This would involve some coding and you are saving yourself from it by taking above approach :)

If it helps resolves the question then please mark it as best answer since it will help other users with similar query.
Appreciated!