function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Troy PlainTroy Plain 

Poll-type component on Homepage to collect data

This a bit of a strage request so hopefully someone might be able to help!

I'm looking to put a component on the Homepage that will allow users to make a single selection from a list of multiple choices (be it from a drop-down menu or similar) in order to collect data from the types of calls they are getting. As such it needs to be something they can use many, many times a day so a normal poll is out of the question. It also needs to be something I can draw the information from afterwards via a report so I can collate the data over the weeks and months.

Would this be possible? And if not does anyone have any suggestions for something within Salesforce that could provide a similar service? 
Best Answer chosen by Troy Plain
RD@SFRD@SF
Hi Troy,
Thanks for the reply.

1. Create a custom object sall Poll, with necessary fields.like questions, options and counts on the each 
2. Only one object would be enough to store the  poll and there answers
3. Each record is a Poll question and each record is shown in the home page layout based on the status.
4. And a manage Poll tab for the admins to get the stats
5. As the records are stored a report and a dash board would give you the necessary details on screen.

Hope it helps
RD

All Answers

RD@SFRD@SF
Hi Troy,
1. This is possible using visual force home page components
2. Is this question you would be asking every day
3. We can tie it to a custom object which can be reported later

Kind regards
Troy PlainTroy Plain
Hi Deepak, thanks for the reply!

Yes it would be asked every day and would likey continue indefinitly. It would be used approx 400 times a day by about 30 people. A custom object sounds perfect.
RD@SFRD@SF
Hi Troy,
Thanks for the reply.

1. Create a custom object sall Poll, with necessary fields.like questions, options and counts on the each 
2. Only one object would be enough to store the  poll and there answers
3. Each record is a Poll question and each record is shown in the home page layout based on the status.
4. And a manage Poll tab for the admins to get the stats
5. As the records are stored a report and a dash board would give you the necessary details on screen.

Hope it helps
RD

This was selected as the best answer
Troy PlainTroy Plain
Thanks, RD. I've created the custom object with the information required, however I'm not sure how to get it to display on the Homepage. I'm guessing that I could make a VF area with that Objects page layout inside, but I don't know how to do that (or even if it's possible!). Do you have any suggestions?
Troy PlainTroy Plain
Nevermind, I manged to figure it out myself :) I ended up creating a VF page with this:
<apex:page standardController="OneView_Poll__c"  >
    <apex:form >
        <apex:inputHidden value="{!OneView_Poll__c.Name}" />
        <apex:inputField value="{!OneView_Poll__c.Outcome__c}" />
<apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Save"/>
<apex:commandButton action="Cancel" value="Cancel"/>
    </apex:form>
</apex:page>
Then created a Home Page component from that VF page. Thanks for your help, RD! Very much appreciated!