function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Josh SchwerdtfegerJosh Schwerdtfeger 

automatically running triggers

Need some help, i'm in over my head.  I've got a custom field on a custom object and have the following apex running on a trigger.  I don't know how or what would be the best way to execute this field update automatically.  On one hand it would be great to exeute the trigger every night at midnight, as i will be duplicatingt he field and query for each month.  Any help or a point in the right direction would be great.
trigger WonNov on Course__c (before update) {

Set<Id> setRecordId = new Set<Id>();

for (Course__c obj : Trigger.new)
    {
        setRecordId.add(obj.id) ;
    }

AggregateResult[] groupedResults = [ Select SUM (Amount) sum, Course_Lookup__c from Opportunity WHERE Courseid__c in :setRecordId AND Opportunity_Type__c ='Outing' AND Probability >94.00 AND Event_Date__c = THIS_YEAR AND Event_Month__c = '11_November' GROUP BY Course_Lookup__c ];

Map<String , AggregateResult > mapAG = new Map<String , AggregateResult >();
    for(AggregateResult ar : groupedResults)
    {
        mapAG.put(String.valueOf(ar.get('Course_Lookup__c')) , ar );
    }

for (Course__c obj : Trigger.new)
    {

if( mapAG.containsKey(obj.id) )
        {
            AggregateResult ar = mapAG.get(obj.id);
            double sum =double.valueOf(ar.get('sum'));
            obj.Won_Nov_Outings__c = decimal.valueOf(sum);

}
    }
}

VishnuYVishnuY
Hi Josh,

You can achieve what you want by doing the following steps.
  1. Create a trigger service class and move the code logic to that class.
  2. call the newly created class from the trigger by passing the records as a parameter. 
  3. Now, create a batch class that queries all the required records to be processed every night.
  4. From the batch class, call the newly created trigger service class by passing the records.
  5. Schedule the Batch class at the time you want.
This way, logic is executed when some one manually updates, and also at the scheduled time.

Mark this answer as best answer if this solves your question.

Thanks,
Vishnu
Vishu,  
Thank you for this outline, i'll give this a try.  Question, would another way to solve this be possible where the trigger is when an opportunity is updated, but the field that is updated is on a child object?  This would make the field update as opportunities update instead of every night.  Woudl this be much harder to do?
VishnuYVishnuY
If is much easier moving the code to Opportunity trigger, rather than writing a batch class. But you will not be able to fire the trigger automatically.
It will only be fired when an opportunity is updated.
Vishnu,  great thank you for the response.  Another question though:  I need to duplicate this filed update and code 120 times, changing out the monthly where, and opportunity type, and also the probability, will this be to many to execute with every update of opportunities?  We have 150 users, and work with about 20,000 opportunity per year.  I just don't want to head down that path and add too much.