function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Shawn Reichner 29Shawn Reichner 29 

Populating lookup field on visualforce page from extension

Hello awesome developers!

I am stuck here, and I will be up front I am prety new to the apex extension for VF pages.  

I am attempting to as a record is closed, send an email from a workflow with an url to a VF page for an user to fill out a brief survey.  I am attempting to place a parameter in the URL of the closing records ID to then pre populate the lookup field on the VF page with the ID of the closing record that is sending the survey needed email. 

I have the following VF page built and extension, however when the page is loaded, the lookup field on the VF page is not being populated.  Any ideas on what I did incorrectly and or ideas on how to make this work?  

I appreciate any input,

PS...once this is working, since I am new to the extension building, any insights on building a test class for the extension?

Shawn

VF Page:

<apex:page standardController="Salesforce_Support_Survey__c" sidebar="false" showHeader="false" extensions="SalesforceSupportSurveyController" docType="html-5.0">

<style>
    html, body, p { 
        font-family: "ProximaNovaSoft-Regular", Calibri, 
            "Gill Sans", "Gill Sans MT", Candara, Segoe, 
            "Segoe UI", Arial, sans-serif; 
        font-size: 110%;
    }
    input { font-size: 95%; }
	</style>

<apex:form >
        <apex:pageBlock title="Thank you for taking our short survey!" mode="edit">
            <apex:pageBlockButtons >
                <apex:commandButton action="{!save}" value="Submit Survey"/>
            </apex:pageBlockButtons>
            <apex:pageBlockSection title="Survey Questions:" columns="2">
                <apex:outputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X1_Timliness__c}"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X1_Answer__c}"/>
                <apex:outputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X2_Satisfaction__c}"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X2_Answer__c}"/>
                <apex:outputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X3_Submission_process__c}"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X3_Answer__c}"/>
                <apex:outputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X4_Enhancement_Ideas__c}"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X4_Answer__c}"/>
                <apex:outputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X5_Additional_Comments__c}"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.X5_Answer__c}"/>
                <apex:inputField value="{!Salesforce_Support_Survey__c.Issue__c}"/>
                 <script>
          			document.getElementById('{!$Component.dynFieldName}_lkid').value = '{!IssueId}';
          			document.getElementById('{!$Component.dynFieldName}').value = '{!IssueName}';
      			</script>
            </apex:pageBlockSection>
        </apex:pageBlock>
    </apex:form>
</apex:page>

Extension:

public class SalesforceSupportSurveyController
{
    public string IssueId
    {    get;set;    }

public string IssueName
    {    get;set;    }

public SalesforceSupportSurveyController(ApexPages.StandardController ctlr)
    {
        IssueId = System.currentPageReference().getParameters().get('lookupVal');
        IssueName = [select Name from SFDC_Issue__c where Id =: IssueId].Name;
    }
}

Best Answer chosen by Shawn Reichner 29
All I tweaked the Class extention and got this working as I intended.  Thanks for your help. 

All Answers

bk sbk s
Hi Shawn Reichner,
1. If you have to get something from the URL , you should have the query string passed into it . I dont see you have set up the query string
2. Double check if your form is submitted in GET||POST method . If it is POST method you will not get anything from URL
3. As best practice dont expose the ids to the users instead do some basic encryption so that there will be no accident exposure of sensitive information
I am passign the ID using a merge field into a Email message going to a user.  When they click on the link the Lookup field is not being populated.  If this is not what you were talking about, please re-confirm as I am lost as to why this is not working.  Thanks for the help, but I think we need more.  
All I tweaked the Class extention and got this working as I intended.  Thanks for your help. 
This was selected as the best answer