function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sridhar RamamoorthySridhar Ramamoorthy 

Creating a duplicate contact in Pardot

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with receiving duplicate emails over time. For instance, whenever an individual visits our website and navigates to "Contact Us" form and submit it (https://www.screencast.com/t/y91L1gFdK). Soon after someone submits the form, I'm getting a notification that a new prospect is interested in our business. Which is cool, that's the way I wanted it to work. What's unexpected is, after a week or so, again I'm receiving a notification with same First Name, Last Name, Email Address. That creates a duplication of the same contact with same First&Last Name and Email address. Where is the actual problem from, on the Pardot side or website side? I appreciate all your suggestions, once again thank you all!

Thanks,
Sri
Srinivasa Chary TaduriSrinivasa Chary Taduri
Hi Sri - Write a trigger on Contact object to stop or prevent to insert duplicate records into salesforce system.
Sridhar RamamoorthySridhar Ramamoorthy
Hey Srinivasa,

Actually, the dupes are being captured on Pardot, not in Salesforce system.
Phaneendra Arigachetta 4Phaneendra Arigachetta 4
When someone submits a form, Pardot uses the visitor cookie to attempt to associate the activity with a prospect. If the visitor’s cookie is associated with a prospect, the activity is saved to that prospect record. If that prospect record is in the recycle bin, it is undeleted.
If the visitor cookie is not associated with a prospect, Pardot uses the email address submitted in the form to look for a matching prospect. If only one prospect has that email address, the activity is saved to that record. If more than one prospect has that email address, the activity is saved to the prospect that has the most recent activity. If there are no active prospects with that email address, Pardot attempts to match a record in the recycle bin and undelete the record if found. If Pardot cannot find any prospects with the given email address, it creates a prospect and saves the activity to the new record.
In all these cases, the visitor cookie is updated to match the prospect record. Future activity related to that cookie goes to the associated prospect record.