function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Frank BassilloFrank Bassillo 

I need to export my accounts data and import it again but change some fields

Hello everyone,

So I want to set up a formula field for region that auto fills when opportunities are created from the accounts page. The only problem is we currently have a picklist field set up for region that is supposed to be filled out by the Account Manager (but rarely is, hence why i want to do this), but you cant turn a picklist field into a formula field. 

I want to create a new formula field that is "Account Region". Is there a way i can export all the current data and then create the new formula field, then import the data and have everything that was originally in "region" now be "account region". 

Any advice on how I can accomplish this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

venkat-Dvenkat-D
If you are using formula field, isnt it supposed to get data from other reference fields or calculated? In that case how is data in existing region field will help in creating formula field?
Yea my fault i should have specified. The formula field wont automatically update any existing records. Only records that are created after it is put in place. Does this make sense?
venkat-Dvenkat-D
In SFDC formula fields are calculated in runtime. You can just create field and it will calculate for all records and you can verify this by runnign a report on the object.
What do you mean by running a report on the object? I tried running a report and the "account region" field is still blank for all opportunities that were created before i put the formula in place.
venkat-Dvenkat-D
Can you post your formula field here?
TEXT(Account.Region)
venkat-Dvenkat-D
Do you want to update all accounts with Region field? Then you can use data loader to upload data into account object. Once you upload on account, you will see it on opportunities. 

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=data_loader.htm&type=0

Well I actually updated every Accounts "region" field manually. I did a field mapping with Accounts to autopopulate from when the Lead is converted. I want the Opportunities that are already created to be filled out. It would take me days to do it manually, and it is important for reporting purposes