function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Steve Bruhn 8Steve Bruhn 8 

While in the Trailhead Module "Create Sharing Rules",

In the first step when enabling customer portal, I received the following error message:

Validation Errors While Saving Record(s) There were custom validation error(s) encountered while saving the affected record(s). The first validation error encountered was "You can't enable or activate portals because your org has encrypted standard fields. Ask your Salesforce administrator about disabling encryption, or use a Community instead.".

Click here to return to the previous page.

I did in a previous trailhead turn on encryption per the instructions.  Further, I have unchecked all the options for encryption under platform encryption. 

Does anyone know how I can get around this issue so I can complete the module?
Mubeen QawiMubeen Qawi
Hi Steve, I am sorry to hear this. I reckon this is due to the fact the your Development org has Salesforce Customer Portal enabled. And they will be sunsetting this platform next week. And Salesforce Community is way to go. 

I can suggest 3 options:
#1. Make do with you developer Org. Here you may want to disable Customer portal for good (if possible) and enabled Community.
#2. Create a new Developer Org. (start fresh), If your trailhead jouney has just started, then I would recommend starting your trialhead with most latest Development org. As you progress in your trails, you will face lot of more issues such as these.
#3. Reach out to Salesforce support and / or on twitter with #askforce to help you with the error.

Hope this helps. All the very best. 

Regards,
MQ