function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jeffrey BrochsteinJeffrey Brochstein 

SFDC BA: ADM 201 or DEV 401?

Just curious on folks' thoughts on which certification path might be more appropriate for a Business Analyst who still has the traditional role of extracting and crafting requirements, but also needs to help the business solve problems with functionality avaliable in SFDC? Was wondering if anyone out there can provide any experience or input on this. I noticed many certified SFDC BAs have gone more towards the DEV route than Admin....
Many thanks - Jeff 
Terri T JilesTerri T Jiles
Hi Jeffrey,

It depends on your career objectives.  Either way, I think it is helpful for you to obtain the basic admin cert.  Please see this guide for more detail https://secure.sfdcstatic.com/assets/pdf/misc/sfu-certification-guide-summer-16.pdf

If you want to primarily stay on the functional side, I recommend starting with the Admin and obtaining the implementation expert certifications.

If you want to go on the more technical route, Get Platform App Builder, the Developer certs, and architecture certs.  If you want to be a Technical Architect, you want to aim for all of the recommended TA.  As optional, you'll want to obtain the other ones so you understand all aspects of the platform.