function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jack CorfieldJack Corfield 

How to change "Name" and "Company" fields within the Lead object?

When I click to add a New Lead, there are two fields that I don't need on the form: "Name" and "Company" - I would like both of these fields to be lookup fields, so I can browse whether a company/contact is already in the system, or add a new one if they are not.

However, I can't find a way to either delete these fields from the page layout, or change their visibility via the user settings.

Any help is appreciated - thanks!
Hassan AnwarHassan Anwar
Hi Jack!

I would suggest you to go with making Custom object with your desired fields and lookup relationships with Company/Account and Contacts. Following are the things which make restrictions to do this stuff with default Leads object in Salesforce.

If you want to remove the 'Name' and 'Company' both from lead's page layout, it's not possible as it violates Salesforce CRM by default behaviour (Salesforce creates an Account with Company field and a Contact with Name field upon conversion of Lead). However Salesforce allows you to remove Company field only if Person Accounts (https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=account_person_enable.htm&type=0&language=en_US) have been enabled for the Org.

If Person Accounts have been activated, the Company field requirement can be modified. To change this requirement, edit the Lead Page Layout, double click on the Company field, then deselect the Required check box (step by step given below):

1) Go to Setup | Customize | Leads | Page Layouts
2) Click Edit next to the Page Layout name 
3) Click on the wrench icon for the Company field
4) Deselect the Required checkbox and click OK
5) Save the Layout

When converted, a Lead without a Company will create a Person Account; the Name field of the Lead will be mapped to the Person Account's Name field.

Person Accounts may only be enabled for Enterprise Edition, Unlimited Edition, and Developer Edition.

It is not possible to remove the Lead Company field requirement for Professional Edition or Group Edition.
Hassan AnwarHassan Anwar
If you still need to use default Lead object, a different approach can be used in which you can create a custom object having a master(required) relationship with Leads (so that you can get all Lead related information) and lookup relationships with Account and Contact as well.