function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Aaliya YusufzaiAaliya Yusufzai 

Update Account field from Opportunity object

I'm trying to update an account field from the opportunity object, but would like to create a formula field as i'm trying to select certain criteria's.
If Opportunity.Type equals New, then upate the Account Field with the Total Amount from the Opportunity object.
ArreyYaarArreyYaar
This should be possible via Workflows as well as Summary field on Account object. 

1. Workflows:
Create a workflow rule on Opportunity with entry criteris set to 3rd option and filter criteria set to Opportunity.Type equals New, may be also check if the 'Total Amount' field is not empty. 
Create a Field Update Action on the Account object for the required field to be updated. Open the formula editor and select the account field say Amount. The formula might look like Account.Amount = Account.Amount +TotalAmount. This will ensure if there are more than 1 opportunity tagged to this account, we are capturing the amount correctly and not overwriting the amount field.

2. Roll Up Summary Field on Account object
This is the easiest way out. Create a roll-up summary field on Account object, it will look something like this
User-added image

Hope this proves useful to you. Please let me know for any queries. Else, if your query is resolved, kindly mark this solution as the answer
GauravGargGauravGarg
Hi Aaliya,

Please use process builder (Automation tool) to implement this functionality. 
http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/146328/process-builder-update-parent-lookup-record-field

Thanks,
Gaurav