function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Annemarie HappeeAnnemarie Happee 

User Unable to load Activities page

One of our users has created a list view for her activities that was too vague and it is returning too many results, which is resulting in her Activities tab timing out and makes it unable to load the page at all. (Note: this is not just for one list view on activities page, but the whole Acitivites page itself)

I've had experience with this before, but I was always able to load the main landing page for Activities and resolve using this article <https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=How-do-I-fix-an-activity-list-view-that-is-timing-out-1327365102712&language=en_US&type=1>. However, since I am unable to even open her Activities tab, I cannot use this method. 

The error I get: "Time limit exceeded Your request exceeded the time limit for processing" 

I had opened a case up with SFDC support, but they won't help me because it is a visual force page. 

Thank you, and please let me know if I can provide you with any other helpful info. 

-Annemarie
Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma
Hi Annemarie,

Could you share code for your Visualforce Page.

Thanks
Shashikant
Annemarie HappeeAnnemarie Happee
Hi Shashikant, 

Thanks so much for your response. We were able to work some URL magic and get it to work. 

Just for future in case other people search this, this is high level description of what we did: 

Got the URL for making a new list view for a user that works
Login as the user with the broken activities, paste that URL 
Create a new view for the user and save

Bryan Leaman 6Bryan Leaman 6
They're probably defaulting to a wide-open activity view ("All Activities" or similar) and you simply have too many activities for the system to list. Salesforce should fix this issue, but what you can have a developer or advanced system admin do is something like this:

Run this SOQL to show your activity list views and try to determine which is likely causing the problem and record the "Id" value:
SELECT CreatedById,CreatedDate,DeveloperName,Id,IsSoqlCompatible,LastModifiedById,LastModifiedDate,
    LastReferencedDate,LastViewedDate,Name,NamespacePrefix,SobjectType,SystemModstamp, 
    LastModifiedBy.Name
FROM ListView
WHERE SObjectType='Activity'
In my case it was a list view where DeveloperName='All_Activities'.  Get the list view Id from that query and paste it into this url in place of "{00B list view Id}". You'll need to replace the host name with one appropriate for your instance:
https://myhost.my.salesforce.com/ui/list/FilterEditPage?id={00B list view Id}&retURL=%2Fapex%2Factivities__Activities
That will let you edit the list view and reduce its scope or even just delete it.

If you need to get to this page in lightning, you'll need to run some Apex to generate the url. Something like this:
String url = 'https://myhost.lightning.force.com/one/one.app#';
String listViewId = '00B50000007Ykb2EAC';
String editListView='{"componentDef":"one:alohaPage","attributes":{"address":"/ui/list/FilterEditPage?id=' + listViewId + '&retURL=%2Fapex%2Factivities__Activities"},"state":{}}';
System.debug(url + EncodingUtil.base64Encode(Blob.valueOf(editListView)));
Then use the debug output as your url.