function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Singer-ClarkSinger-Clark 

Besides EmailMessage, how can customers interact with Cases?

As a non-advanced Service Cloud user (only just set up, and set up Email-To-Case), but also a developer trying to accommodate more advanced Service Cloud users, I'm trying to understand how customers interact with Cases; in the dashboard, as well as how it gets stored in the API objects.

I know a customer can Email an address (like mysupport@mycompany.com) and that will create a Case, a CaseFeed of type 'EmailMessageEvent', and an associated EmailMessage.

But are there other ways besides emails (e.g. direct replies/posts in a dedicated support website)?

(I'm creating an app, part of which involves collecting CaseFeeds in order to display the Case conversations, but I need to know if I need to display anything else for customers, besides emails. I am currently displaying other things a user can do, because I know of them from seeing the Service Cloud dashboard and seeing the buttons for Reply, Post, Upload File, etc. But not sure what options customers have.)
Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma
Hi,

I think one very good way is Case Commnet, if you have the Customer Community enabled then customers can login and comment on the cases directly. 

You could read about Case Comments here : https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.ja-jp.api.meta/api/sforce_api_objects_casecomment.htm

Thanks
Shashikant
Singer-ClarkSinger-Clark
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense.

2 questions:

1) That link says "comments are generally entered by a User working on a Case". Is that no longer true if Customer Community is enabled, as you describe?

2) Can you tell by looking at the CaseComment object whether it is "incoming" or not (like how EmailMessage has 'Incoming': true or 'Incoming': false)? I.e. a way to tell if the CaseComment is by a customer or a user, without making queries to Contacts and Users just to see which one the CaseComment's CreatedById is in (or something similar).